Do I need LR for this set up???

dcel22

I was planning on getting LR but was wondering if I NEEDED it. Basically I am setting up a 20 gal w/an eclipse hood (so it has the wet/dry bio wheel deal). Would that be enough biological filtration for 2 perc clowns, a star fish, and then about 10 crabs? Also I am adding some sand to the bottom too...I guess I could buy a rock or two to help make the sand live. But would I be ok even without that?

zibnata

There is another forum that explains how to set up nano-reef.I cant post it here because other online stores advertise on it. If you want you can give your email address and I will send you the link.I am also going to set up a 20 for my nephew and will be using 25 lbs of LR.Actually the article says use LR and powerhead with no filter.

S

slofish

LR serves as a good natural filter. for 2 clowns a star and some hermits, i dont think you NEED to have it, but it would be suggested. It'll add some decor to the tank while filtering at the same time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 20 gal eclipse which I use for my QT. IMO the biowheel definately does not provide enough filtration. You should add live sand, live rock and probably another small PH in the eclipse.
The ls and lr can be your primary filters.....as the biowheel will not support much.