Do i Need LR,LS?

ddress007

Hi,
My question is, do I really need live rock and sand?
I currently have 20lbs aragonite sand and lots of lace-rock.
If in fact I do need LR and LS can I just add a layer over my current situation to start growth of sand and maybe a live rock will spread to these lace rock.
I would like to add corals.
MY Specs:
20Gal Tall
bio-carbon filter
Seaclone 100
1 55W 10k light
1 55W Actinic
I have a UV filter but not using, should I?
Water parameters are fine.
current specimens:
1 Orange tail damsel.
3 scarlet crabs.
1 brittle star.
1 cleaner shrimp.
Thanks

blemmy_guy

for starters if youve had your sand in there 6 months or so, its alive already. and 2nd if you plan on haveing corals you will need the live rock, there mat be ways around it, but its best for the corals to have it im not sure what lace rock is :confused: , but i know base rock will turn live eventually also.goodluck
todd

E

exile415

I think for SW live rock is good. The color of live rock is really SEXY too.

lion_crazz

You do not need the live sand, but the live rock is a must. You may add live rock over your lace rock in order to make it live, but I would probably go with a good 10 lbs. of live rock.
You do not need to run the UV, and I actually do not recommend it in a reef.
Good luck with your tank! Any other questions just post.

ddress007

Thanks for your help guys.
I have had the tank running about 5 months now. The Lace rock has coraline algae growing in several spots. Is this the main benefit of getting live-rock, or is it just other forms of algae? Thanks for your patience I am new at reef systems.

lion_crazz

The main benefits of live rock are natural protection in the tank for your inhabitants and microorganisms and bacteria that live on the rock help keep your tank healthy by converting ammonia to nitrites to nitrates to nitrogen gas.