Do I need the ceramic noodles (for biological mechanical filtration)?

ashleigh234

Hi everyone,
We have just brought a Protein Remover from our LFS which goes in the filter. We have had Ceramic Noodles and a Carbon Bag in there since the beginning. But now, we don't have much room - am I able to take the ceramic noodles out? Or should I take the Carbon bag out? Or are these very vital for the tank.
Urgent help would be appreciated

perfectdark

Carbon is always a good idea to run IMO. Although its most benifical for the first 2 weeks of use then it becomes less efficient. Lots of people let it run for 2 weeks then either let it sit for another 2 weeks and change it or change it every 2 weeks. As far as the ceramic rings are concerned. First of all they are more of a fail safe than a need. You shouldnt have any amonia in your tank so the need for these is not essential. If you have the an amonia spike then there are other problems to worry about that ceramic rings wont help. The other thing is, in salt water tanks ceramic rings are non functioning. From what I read the salt water renders them usless, and are not to be thought of the same way as a fresh water tank. Hope this helps.

ophiura

They are a form of BIOLOGICAL filter...and may be critical in your tank if you do not have sufficient biological filtration. You can search for bioballs, biowheels, etc...all the same argument.
So if you have enough LR and the tank is established, it should not be an issue to slowly remove them. But I would watch parameters closely. I personally don't see a reason they would not be working in a saltwater tank...they are merely a physical substrate on which bacteria grow - just like live rock, glass, sand substrate, bioballs, biowheels, etc, etc...
In short, there is a catch 22 here - you shouldn't have ammonia in a properly filtered tank because you should have the biological filter to sustain it (which in many cases is "grown" on bioballs, noodles, etc). If you remove this filter, then you may have ammonia again...it all comes down to your overall setup.
I would provide more details about your tank set up and inhabitants before removing them, to be safe.

perfectdark

ophiura said:
They are a form of BIOLOGICAL filter...and may be critical in your tank if you do not have sufficient biological filtration. You can search for bioballs, biowheels, etc...all the same argument.
QUOTE]
I agree if they are being used as part of your biological filtration. It was my understanding/assumption that the primary use for the ceramic rings was an amonia absorbtion media. Thats why I said that...