Do I need to acclimate a open brain to my lighting if its on the sand.

zanemoseley

Ok I just ordered one of the red open brains. I'm planning on putting it on the sand so will I have to acclimate the coral to my lighting or will it be ok. I have 250w MH and 55w actinics. Also do I need latex gloves to handle these guys so they don't sting me.

zanemoseley

Well its from SWF.com so whatever lighting they use which I assume which is probably PC or VHO. It will be on the very bottom of a 75 so it won't get tons of MH lighting.

S

sebae0

i got a green open brain from swf and i have 250w mh also, i put mine on the sandbed and it did fine from day one. my tank is a 180gal so its probably 24" from the lights.

zanemoseley

Thats good, I think my tank is about 21" deep. Do I need to use gloves when handling the brain cause I don't want the stingers in my hand.

oscardeuce

Always wear gloves. Protect the animals and yourself. Read my posts on reef first aid for some basic info.

golfish

just stick em on the bottom and shorten your lighting period. There are a few methods. Don't you acclimate all your corals to your lights? You should.

zanemoseley

I haven't acclimate my last few corals the last few times since most have been SPS's. I'm not gonna light acclimate the brain since it will be at the bottom cause I don't wanna take any lighting away from my current corals. If it starts bleaching than I'll take step to reduce lighting.

golfish

Originally posted by zanemoseley
I haven't acclimate my last few corals the last few times since most have been SPS's. I'm not gonna light acclimate the brain since it will be at the bottom cause I don't wanna take any lighting away from my current corals. If it starts bleaching than I'll take step to reduce lighting.

Regardless of the coral or what light it came from I've learned the hard way that ALL corals, no matter if they come from tanks with stronger light, diff spectrum or weaker light, they should be acclimated to your light. Here's just one of a few lessons I've learned. I just wiped out my huge blue tip stage that my buddy was holding for me beause I didn't acclimate it proper.