Do I really want a controller?

crimzy

OK, if I am going to buy a controller, now's the time. But I'm debating if it's even necessary anymore. My lights are all on their own timers. I don't generally test my PH but I know that it is regulated pretty well with regular water changes. My fans are on timers. I don't use a heater and my tank stays between 78 and 80 degrees.
A controller sounds like a cool new tech toy for the aquarium. But what benefit would it serve, aside from uniting all my timers into a single unit?
Opinions please...

t316

I was reading another thread about this tonight too that got me thinking about controllers, but I concluded that I have no use for them. Like you, my lights and fans are on timers, I could care less about PH because I am an avid water changer, and all of my powerheads are already on controllers of their own. I'm sure this setup would be good, but I don't see the need for me yet.

I'm on the fence about these as well. On the one hand they seem like they could make things easier but I don't know if I would use even half of the features. I wonder if there exists a device that I can use as a timer which would replace all the lamp timers I am currently using. Like an all-in-one timer or something.

crimzy

Originally Posted by number1Gsxxr
http:///forum/post/2979595
I'm on the fence about these as well. On the one hand they seem like they could make things easier but I don't know if I would use even half of the features. I wonder if there exists a device that I can use as a timer which would replace all the lamp timers I am currently using. Like an all-in-one timer or something.
Isn't that basically what a controller is? One large timer that replaces all the other timers?
The benefit that I see for you serious reefers is that you can have probes attached, which can intermittenly turn on heaters, calc reactors, different powerheads, etc. But I don't use any of these things. My timers just run on various cycles throughout the day.

Crimzy, you are correct but maybe there is a device that is not normally used for aquariums that could be (and costs a lot less). I contacted my friend who is an electrical guru and I'll see what he has to say. I'm pretty sure he could build a type of control box that only acts as a timer for several different devices. I'm not sure what it would cost though. Maybe it will just make sense to get an aquarium controller, but if I can get the timer function without all the other functions like turning off the lights if the tank gets hot, etc. than maybe that will be all I need.

stanlalee

the biggest reasons for me wanting to run one is
a)temp controller. good deticated ones are really expensive and a basic controller with this function is not enough more than to just get one instead.
b) the independant timer control of each outlet REALLY cuts out the number of timers and unused outlets I'll eventually need when I'm done adding things like the bulk reef supply dosing pumps that GatorWPB has https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/349662/compact-2-part-dosing-system
c) I like cool display boxes
I know I dont need the RK elite but they really cheaped out with the RK lite in the display deparment. the RK2 looks way better and has all the functioning I'll ever need for my current tank so I'd halfway consider it except they'll never be available new by the time I actually buy a controller.

So I talked to my friend and if you just want to have something that works as a timer you can buy a Programmable Logic Controller. The problem is that these are usually used in commercial settings and are pretty expensive. So you are better off just getting even the most basic aquarium controller since it will be cheaper in the long run and will have way more features like pH monitoring, etc. The other downside to the PLC is that you would have to program it yourself using ladder logic. I have seen some PLCs for around $50 online however. It might be a fun project if you were a computer programer or had a friend that was good at that sort of thing.

nanoized

The difference with a controller to your timers is the controller can shut off lights and turn on fans depending on temperatures...that's the clincher for me...its basically is another level of safety for my tank.

turningtim

Yes Crimzy you NEED to get one !
So you can tell ME if it was worth it! J/K

It seems to me that it would be a great thing to start out with (but you haven't a clue what you're doing) but once you're invested so much on all the other timers and such is it worth it?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke?

crimzy

Originally Posted by TurningTim
http:///forum/post/2981524
Yes Crimzy you NEED to get one !
So you can tell ME if it was worth it! J/K

It seems to me that it would be a great thing to start out with (but you haven't a clue what you're doing) but once you're invested so much on all the other timers and such is it worth it?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke?
Exactly... my system runs like a well oiled machine now anyway. And with a larger system, I only get about a 1.5 degree temperature change when the lights are on and off. I think I talked myself out of it.

ibew41

I bought an ac jr w/ temp and ph probe and it saved my corals.I also do 10-20% water changes every week and did nottest ph but had a bad salt mix and ph dropped to 7.6 and alarm was on when I came home from work

natclanwy

I have a Reef Keeper Elite, and for me it was just added insurance and convenience for the several thousand dollars that I have invested in my tank.
The only cons to a controller are cost and many people find it difficult to program them.
The Pros:
* The ability to setup alarms to shut off lights, pumps, calcium reactors, ect... automatically in case of a problem.
* The RKE has the ablility to send you a text message or email if there is a problem with your tank.
* All in one system to monitor PH, ORP, Temp, and Salinity and control pumps and heaters based on those values or a combination of.
* Gives you the ability to convinantly turn powerheads and pumps on and off during feeding or maintanence. I currently have mine setup for feeding so that it shuts all of the Powerheads, return pumps, and skimmer off for ten minutes so that I can feed spot feed my corals without the food blowing all over the tank or ending up in my sump and refugium. After the ten minutes is up the powerheads come on and stir up any food that has settled to the bottom. Five minutes later the return pump kicks on then 20 minutes later the skimmer comes back online.
* Can control an auto topoff system and with the use of a salinity probe makes it very safe and easy to use. No worries about dropping your salinity in your system due to a leak.
All in all it has been good investment for me, even with the numerous bugs that the RKE had when it was first introduced to the market plus their customer service has been great.