Do-it-Yourself Plans

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
if someone would like to start a topic for plans for making a refug, sump, skimmer, etc. (separate topics for each would be great), and others will join in and modify it until everyone is happy about the plans and how to construct it, pictures, etc., we will be more than happy to have it at the top of this forum or we can put the different plans on an html address that people can be referred to. it's up to you folks.

C

cruises8

This sounds like a great idea! I'm actually looking into making a sump soon. I wish I could start a subject, but I really need the answer! C'mon people!!! ;)

biggdriver

what size are we looking at.. an old used aquarium works really good depending on the size of the tank and the space alotted for storage.. IE>> It looks better if it isn't seen..Hidden in the stand etc..Plexiglass dividers with silicone to seal the seperate compartments if needed..anyone got any ideas where to start...Size pump etc...

javajoe

That is a great idea! i will post pics of my DIY stand, and my DIY lighting hood as soon as i get them devloped....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What about a DIY EcoSystem? Salty, you should have already drafted the plans for this !
:D

whipple

Hey i think this DIY stuff is great most of the time the things look better cost much much less and are a great experiece making. I just finished making a top cabinet for my 135 gal and im getting ready to put in a lighting set up and it looks nice better than what they were trying to sell me for $185.00 and it only cost me 60 bucks to make and i have wood and varnish still to make something in the future :D

captained

I have notes and a drawing of my refugium/sump up on my site. Originally, I started with a 15 gallon tank divided into 2 sections with an acrylic divider, but since I had the room (barely) I got a 20gal tall tank for the refugium and built a box out of acrylic for the sump.
The other thing I did, and it was a pain but I think worth it, was to mount an electric panel on the inside of the base door and wire all my "appliances" like the pumps, lights, heaters, etc. to switches. There is a master switch after a GFCI, and then sub-masters so that, for example, I can turn off everything in the sump with once switch, or each individually. I haven't electrocuted myself of the fish since I did it :)
[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainEd ]

skortzy

I like this topic especially for a new comer like me! it helps me get an idea about what other people are doing. it is hard to do that around wis.

cyn

Sounds great! I hope to build a DIY sump in the future and having plans here would be a huge help. I look forward to seeing how creative everyone here is.
cyn

dogface puffer

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what size tank I should use for a sump on a 44 gallon hex. Any help would be great. Thanks

fshhub

i am in the process of trying to figure out a refugium myself, and have a lot of holes(in my theories) as to the overflow and return, as well as etails in construction, my refugium must be under my 75 gal and i have no room for a sump too, i do have a20 high which i intend to use
n.e.how, i like the idea

G

geo the great

YEAH THAT WOULD BE GREAT CAUSE IM A BEGINNER AND I DONT KNOW WHAT A SUMP OR REFUGIUM IS

bartman

Sounds great. I would love to see what others have done. I am about to be building a sump myself and need some direction. Sounds like an outstanding idea.
Bartman

novice

I definitely think it's a great idea. Since I'm about to creat one out of a 55gal tank. Go for it.....