Do mags drives leak?...my tank has a leak i think?...please read

jer4916

I just went under my tank tonight to adjust some lights and whoa...i feel to my right, and my hand is wet....(i keep my mag drive above a thick towel to keep the noise down) ..anyways the whole towel is soaked...i think to myself...where could this leak be coming from...anywho i check all my fittings and ties and there are no visible leaks...nor do they even feel wet...also no signs of salt....its only under the mag drive itself...
i was wondering if any of you have any advice...etc
~Chris

chipmaker

About all you can do is wipe it all down and make sure its all dry and keep an eye on it. A slight weep or seep should be readily apparent in short order.......Any pump can leak, as can any line or fitting. Its not uncommon for the front covers on the mag drive to get cracked for various reasons, and over a period of time just a slight weep can make a huge mess. If there is no salt involved, is there any other containers with just freshwater around, like a top off container with RODI etc?

oceana

Originally Posted by Jer4916
I just went under my tank tonight to adjust some lights and whoa...i feel to my right, and my hand is wet....(i keep my mag drive above a thick towel to keep the noise down) ..anyways the whole towel is soaked...i think to myself...where could this leak be coming from...anywho i check all my fittings and ties and there are no visible leaks...nor do they even feel wet...also no signs of salt....its only under the mag drive itself...
i was wondering if any of you have any advice...etc
~Chris

one of my mag 18's leaked when i first got it so i replaced the seal and no problems since.

squidd

Mags run "external" tend to leak...they probably leak running "submersed" as well, but nobody notices...

scsinet

It could also be a leaky fitting above the pump somewhere and the water just follows the pipe down to the pump where it drips off or wicks off onto the towell.
I run 2 mags, a 9 and a 2, external on my fw system and neither has ever leaked.

dburr

I always use vasaline on the o-ring under the cover, that is the best stuff to keep it from leaking.

mbowker

they are aware of the leaking problem on the newer mags. They changed the design on the plastic and it needs different wahser. Call them and they will send you the replacement washers free of charge

jer4916

At the current time the leak had progressed to a full out leak...oops....so what i did was is i plugged the ecosystem and placed the mag internally...i have the new skimmer up and running perfectly...wow is it sucking crap outta the water...lol...anyways i don't have the UV on the tank at the time being because of plumbing issues...the mag has a direct shot to the main display...holy cow is the current much stronger...will this bother the corals/fish?
How long do you think i can leave it internal?...i know they make the temp of the tank go up...im wondering if its noticable in a tank my size?...
any other views?
~Chris