Do sea salt brand's differ much?

culp

i know that's the great thing about nano tanks is that every thing is so much cheaper on the nano tanks than they are on the larger tanks.

mz3bmx

I use Kent Marine Salt and noticed my tank water had HIGH calcium levels (550) without dosing. So, I decided to mix up a fresh batch of salt water and before i poured it into my tank i tested the calcium and it was already at 500. I make it at 1.024sg and use a RO/DI filter. I used another brand of test kit and still the same readings. Is this normal, any suggestions?? Tank is 6 months young and has proper pH and Alk... Just HIGH Calcium.

stanlalee

the elevated calcium would yield better results in a more mature tank packed with more hard corals but on your tank its not really ideal because its not being utilized (doesn't really explain the 550ppm). this is why there is no best salt. whats best for one tank isn't always best for the next. my seachem reef salt test at 580ppm @ 1.026 but with weekly water changes it maintains my tank at 460ppm without dosing. perfect. It only test 7dKH for alk which many might frown upon but 5ml daily reef carbonate dosing to maintain 8dKH and no calcium dosing seems perfect for me.