Do seahorses ever fight?

sueandherzoo

When I was home for lunch today and feeding the horses I noticed one of the males hitch onto another horses snout. I've seen this happen before - it's kind of comical, but today it wasn't. The other horse was thrashing around trying to get his snout free but it looked like the more he thrashed, the harder the other one hung on. At one point the grabbed horse was upside down, reached up and hitched onto the other horses snout - in a 69 type position if you can picture it. at this point they were both looking a little frantic so I put my hand in to nudge them apart - they were scaring me! Do we need to interfere in these situations or is this natural play? I really have no idea if it was aggression or just plain clumsiness.
Sue

U

usirchchris

"Shut up"...."why don't you make me shut up"....CLAMP
...I know my fish talk to one another. Trash talking horses
. Get a vid next time. Sounds funny.

sueandherzoo

Oh my word, I'm slipping! I posted new pix on another site and forgot to do it here! (thwops self on forehead!)
Picked up these little beauties last weekend. Their color is incredible!

sueandherzoo

They are called "Red Reidi" but I don't think they'll ever be red. They go between bright yellow and light orange - which is great with me!
Sue

pete159

hitching to each other is not fighting. When one snicks at the other it's because they are annoyed but just hitching is natural

sueandherzoo

OK, so when one hitches to another and the "hitchee" doesn't want to be hitched and starts flailing to get free and the "hitcher" just seems to hold on even more tightly, this is simply clumsiness rather than hostility? When they got into the "69" position and were both flailing to get free I felt like I should intercept - they may have scratched themselves on a rock or something!
Sue

S

sweetxoxo31

Just curious/....I'm in Mass. and there are no stores who stock Seahorses here - whee did you "pick them up"? I use to buy them from oceanrider back when they cost much less! How much for these beauties!
Good Luck..

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by SweetXOXO31
http:///forum/post/2899273
Just curious/....I'm in Mass. and there are no stores who stock Seahorses here - whee did you "pick them up"? I use to buy them from oceanrider back when they cost much less! How much for these beauties!
Good Luck..
Hi there.
I actually got them from my local LFS. I had him order me my first two horses (Erectus) a couple of months ago from ORA and mentioned that someday, if these did well, I would want him to order me some Reidi's in the future. He took it upon himself to order four Reidis recently and called me at home to say he got some in and that I might want to see them. :) I did, and the rest is history. I think any LFS can order them for you from ORA.
Sue

chadg

Originally Posted by SweetXOXO31
http:///forum/post/2899273
Good Luck..

I'm in MA as well and Tropic Isle Aquarium in Framingham has a SH tank setup right now. I was there about two weeks ago and they had about 15 in the tank.