do starfish regrow legs?

1tang2nemo

I have been watching a 2 "legged" for lack of a better word starfish at the lfs for a month and the lfs sold it to me for 50 cents 3 days ago. I put it in my 75 which I just recently setup using my fuge and live rock from my 45. So there is not any algae on the glass for the starfish to eat. What and how often should I feed it also will the little guy regrow it's other 3 legs? I'm not sure what kind it is here are some pic.

coral keeper

Yes they do grow there legs back. It you cut a star fish in half you will have 2 star fish and they will grow everything back.

chilwil84

idealy yes but in our reef tanks most people have a hard time just keeping a healthy starfish alive for 2 years let alone regrow legs.

kerriann

i'm sorry but does no one else find this thing to be funny?? it reminds me of "thing" from the addams family!
good luck with the leg regrowth tho! i'm not trying to be mean just, i mean, c'mon. it's not a 2 legged starfish its a "V" the starfish-ness of it is gonzo

ophiura

Yes, in the right environment it will. However - that is a relative of a Linckia, Echinaster (probably E. luzonicus) and need A LOT of live rock and pristine conditions (esp long acclimation and specific gravity of 1.026).

alix2.0

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
i'm sorry but does no one else find this thing to be funny?? it reminds me of "thing" from the addams family!
good luck with the leg regrowth tho! i'm not trying to be mean just, i mean, c'mon. it's not a 2 legged starfish its a "V" the starfish-ness of it is gonzo
i didnt want to be the first one to say something...

keri

Oh! I laugh and feel sad for the little bugger all at once! You should name him Vinnie. ...if s/he eats algae will it eat the algae sheets?
edit: You could put in little ramps all over the tank to make it more handy-accessable

reefreak29

unfortunatly you need the right conditions for the starfish to regenerate its legs. looks like you have a newer system , the starfish needs a well astablished tank imo

1tang2nemo

since this is not an astablished tank does anyone know what I can feed or do to keep the little guy alive?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by 1tang2nemo
since this is not an astablished tank does anyone know what I can feed or do to keep the little guy alive?
they eat macrofuana on astablished live rock

alix2.0

Originally Posted by SAMBASAM
that looks like a cerith snail.
haha, sure its not a peppermint shrimp?

Originally Posted by 1tang2nemo
I have been watching a 2 "legged" for lack of a better word starfish at the lfs for a month and the lfs sold it to me for 50 cents 3 days ago. I put it in my 75 which I just recently setup using my fuge and live rock from my 45. So there is not any algae on the glass for the starfish to eat. What and how often should I feed it also will the little guy regrow it's other 3 legs? I'm not sure what kind it is here are some pic.
This is obviously some sort of surpent, It has to be a distant cousin to "NESSY"(if I spelled that right). You can see it's eyes and everything.

Originally Posted by KerriAnn
Your sick, making fun of a serpant that had most of his legs torn of in his battle with godzilla. That's like making fun of a cripple!!! I despise you.