Do test kits expire??

wetone

I have a wide variety of Salifert test kits. I recently had an outbreak of hair algae. I tested with kits that are about 18 months old. All nitrate, phosphate tests were at 0 level. PH was around 8.2, DKH around 11. Only my CA was a little low.
My question is are these tests accurate?? Can the reagents in the test kit lose their accuracy over time??

eddie g

I recently moved. After moving the tank I have become interested in it again. I have a Red Sea Marine Test Lab kit from about 4 or 5 years ago. It uses liquid drops. It seems to be still working just as good as new. I bought a sample aquamarine kit on ----. It tests for ph, akalinity, nitrites & nitrates. And I get the same results on both test kits. That is why I believe my 4+ year old kit is still good.
Eddie G

nacl-h2o

Some do and some don't, I know some of the ammonia test kits and some calcium test kits stop working when kept to long I don't know about the rest.

killyah

JMO if it's older then 1 year, get another one just to make sure, then you can tell if it's still good or not......

N

newreefers

They can go bad if exposed to high heat. Don't keep them under your tank if it gets hot in there.

robn70

Most of the brands that I have seen have expiration dates on them. Kordon products for example last about 2 to 3 years.