do the products theyhave fo red slime work?

peckhead

^^^^^^
if so which one?
the guy at the lfs said ultra slime or something like that is great...

weberian

I wouldn't use "products" other than phosban or phosguard. I responded about your cyano in another thread of yours. Not that phosphates are your problem, but a little of this in a filter bag cannot hurt you, and it could help.

snaredrum

Yes some of the produces work. I just used Antired. I cleaned out the Cyno overnight. But! I have been doing water changes (3 total 20%) to get my zoo's and Xenia's back looking good. What happened to me was I was out of town and my Son went to feed and the lid popped off the food and (as he said) a bunch went into the tank. The wife told me that my Fire Shrimp was going nuts. He didn't have enough arms. Anyway, no one informed me because they thought I would be p#####. End result cynobacteria. So It CAN be had from overfeeding. Good Luck.

farslayer

Chemi clean wiped out my cyno in 24 hours, no loss to anything in my tank. Do a 20% water change after 48 hours though, cost about $15.
Be wary and follow directions exactly. Cyno is a bacteria so the products you use are antibiotics. Too much and you'll kill all of your beneficial bacteria as well.

peckhead

im going to try chemi clean. is that the same and chemi pure? it is kinda expensive.. i think if i read the instructions correctly it would have been like 30$ because i would have to buy 2 15$ bottles...i think ill go to the store and check it out now. ill look for chemi clean

farslayer

Chemi clean rocks, honestly. Chemi pure is something else, its a sock of media that comes all wet in a bottle. Not bad for a filter I guess or a sump, but not medicine for cyano.

snaredrum

I think most say to take out any carbon and some say run the skimmer and some say don't. So be sure to read and reread.

gharner

i just used the chemi clean for the first time earlier today....hopefully tomorrow ill wake up to a clean tank
. the little scooper thing is soooo tiny though, i dont know how that little ammount can clean up all that red slime.

trippkid

Chemi-clean works, like said follow directions. Also helps to try and physically remove as much as possible first. May have to repeat if it is really bad. And to gharner, yes the little scoop is enough, as long as you dose properly

farslayer

Oh yes, the scoop is just fine. And remember, LEVEL scoops, don't put in heaping scoops. You're dealing with antibiotics, so dosage is important.

snaredrum

I'm seeing that cynobacteria is common in the spring. I wonder if some of it could be caused from temp flux. You know summer coming and you kind of hate to turn the air conditioning on to soon. Just a thought.

farslayer

Interesting idea, I wonder if the temps of tanks with a cyano problem differ from those without them?

snaredrum

I'm thinking it might be a quick raise in temp by a couple of degrees. I know that in the business I'm in that 2 degrees higher makes H2S levels raise. Again bacteria.
I just think its strange that in the spring and early summer we see more cyano post.

farslayer

Very possible, but it would only be valid if the tank temperature was also going up. I run a chiller and a heater on my tank to maintain 78 degrees. Does cyano have a happy temperature, one where it can thrive?

farslayer

Bunch of newbies probably

just kidding, cyano sucks something fierce. I had cyano growing in direct current too, stupid bacterial mat...

snaredrum

You seen my post about my kid spilling food in my tank. The current took the uneaten food to the left hand coroner and BOOM cyanobacteria. I did notice that there was a little sunlight coming in the blinds in the room. It was shining right where the cyano was.

farslayer

Oh man, that's a bummer. My kid is only 20 months but tried to pick up the foxface from the drip bucket; I about freaked. He can't reach the top of the tank yet thankfully.