do u run carbon

reefkprz

I use carbon one week a month before heavy water changes to remove BIo warfare chemicals from the tank. but am aware that it can remove nessecary chemichals from the the water. I do not reccomend running high grade carbon constantly. as it could remove benificial chemichals and organics from the tank. <- IMO

murph145

i run carbon 24/7 i change it out every 2 weeks when i do a water change
i have a 180g mainly sps tank with some softies so i run it in case of chemical warfae plus it keeps my water sparkling clear

O

oreo12

I have a powerfilter hanging on the back with carbon in all the time. wouldn't run without it

laddy

I run in for 3-4 weeks, then take it out for a few weeks (cause I'm lazy) and when I remember i place it back in. I don't really know EXACTLY what it does except make the water sparkle and remove odors.

a2hotz

I run 24/7 on my emperor 280 but I rarely change the pads, I only use them for removing particles not so much on the carbon thing... so I guess I use carbon kinda.

big

I use activated in a "Magnum 350 canister, 2 or 3 weeks carbon, 2 weeks polisher.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by alyssia
I only use it for a reason, I don't just run it all the time.
Can you explain what you run it for please!!!!!

candycane

People run it because it is a SUPERB way to clear water, get rid of yellow tint and is extremely efficient at removing organics. It is also very powerfull at housing bacteria.

alyssia

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Can you explain what you run it for please!!!!!

If the water starts to look not so clear, or a death in the tank.

teen

ive never ran carbon. my water does have some particles in it, but i figure all my corals, feather dusters, scallop, turkey wing clams, gorgonians, sponges and both my squamosa and crocea clam will all benefit from the particle in the water column. i dont think i ever will run carbon unless for some reason i have a major death or something like that.

reefrobert

I am turning the skilter 250 into a refugium with cheato, but in front of the water falling into the tank, I have a carbon filter pad that I change once a month!