Do we all always feel this way?

renogaw

personally ever since my pump in my sump sprayed water all over the place cause the hose came off, i'm always nervous about it especially after i do something different.
I'm still very nervous about my wet/dry and refuge set up--i have to do something different soon, i'm constantly having to fix the flow through my ubend connecting the two and am afraid that one day its just going to overflow all over my carpet.
i wake up and listen to hear if the tank is still flowing (the gurgling from the tank's overflow) and i'm constantly redoing my rocks because i'm afraid its not sturdy enough.

thud

Originally Posted by BlackburnD
Maybe it's just me, but I am always worrying about my tank... I know I am new, but this thing is so thought consuming. I worry about everything.
is there enough flow? Where is my shrimp? Was that too much food? I don't think it's safe to add a new fish yet.. How can I get rid of that algae? Do I need to add any vitamins? Am I mixing my water right? It is kinda starting to drive me crazy... :hilarious Are you all like this or is it just me. I have read, and heard about all these crappy things happening to peoples tanks. So all I can do is wonder if I am doing everything the right way... I usually feel like the answer is no..

Believe it or not my fiancee told me the other night I was talking about the tank in my sleep..... I talk in my sleep from time to time. From she said I hit her with the pillow a few times. When she asked what I was doing I said I was cleaning up all the water from the fish tank.. :notsure: Another night I told her she needed to get all the snails out of the tank because something was wrong. This is no joke.. I really do talk in my sleep, and now my SW tank has taken over my dreams apparently :scared: Kinda sad, and scary if you ask me. SW is gonna force me to go to therapy :help:
So is it just me? Or does everyone worry about their tanks alot?

It's normal. The saltwater hobbie is like babysitting my Satan spawn nephew, the equivalent of managing 10 baby's. Well my tank is anyway.
For example, right now I'm worrying about where my other clownfish is in my huge tank. I don't want to move the rocks so I'm just monitoring it, hopefully they'll come out within the next hour or I'll have to launch a full investigation on their asses and mix up my tank.. :(

browniebuck

I am the same way, but I guess I just equate it to, if I didn't care as much...I wouldn't enjoy the results.
By worrying, I take that to mean that I care to do things the right way to ensure the most enjoyment out of my hobby.
I was the same way when I started playing golf, I was obsessed (to be honest, I still am...when is the weather going to completely break in Ohio
) Maybe a nice round of golf will take my mind off of my fishies, but I doubt it!

dcoyle11

you are not alone. i find my self going to the fish store just to look at fish knowing i cant't buy them. it's some sort of aqua mind control. lol

Originally Posted by browniebuck
I am the same way, but I guess I just equate it to, if I didn't care as much...I wouldn't enjoy the results.
By worrying, I take that to mean that I care to do things the right way to ensure the most enjoyment out of my hobby.
I was the same way when I started playing golf, I was obsessed (to be honest, I still am...when is the weather going to completely break in Ohio
) Maybe a nice round of golf will take my mind off of my fishies, but I doubt it!

Haha, you are not the only one, i will drive 45 minutes to go look at fish/corals/equipment that i cant own, and probably wont for decades to come(my lfs has a massive display tank with a blacktip reef shark, and a fish list that i couldnt even begin to describe)

ricks280

yes , yes ,yes, it takes over your marriage, your job, tv and the list goes on!
might even take over the beers!!! any body for a glass of salt water???????? :scared: (rick) cheers! :hilarious

There is a huge difference between concern and worry. I like to look at my tank for five minutes now and again, find the snails, crabs, shrimp, see whose doing what. Have confidence in your set up, ask questions here, and then enjoy it!
I have only been in the game for three months and I have almost everything the way I want it, once I have a nice balance I will not be on here more than necessary. I am a bit obsessed with this site, and I also have a friend who has been in the game for a few years and I can learn from his mistakes and call him most times. That helps! I was surprised how many different opinions there are, gets confusing, I take his word overall. lots of great ideas but some are conflicting.
Start out simple and work toward complex, it's a crap shoot!

integral9

My wife and I got it so bad that after being in the hobby six months, she got a job PT at the LFS. While she works at the LFS on weekends, I constantly think of ways we can improve our tank. It's taking over my other projects of a '74 Charger and home improvements. I still don't have a backsplash in my kitchen (counters went in last summer) and my car still isn't running (put the engine in last summer).... :notsure: come to think of it, I've got a real problem. I gotta get my car running, forget the backsplash..
Just as soon as I build a hood and retro fit my lights and a few MHs in it.. :joy:

jessi p

Blackburn that really really sucks that your tank broke. I hope you find some happiness with whatever new hobby you choose.

inawe

Really sorry about your tank
. I'm with all others here...don't give up. Lightening rarely strikes the same place twice! Your next tank will be bigger and better!!! :cheer:

bluetang66

I to am obssed with this site.My original setup crashed and burned.I lost 5 fish and one coral due to bad advice maybe i should have waited more than one week before i stocked my tank.HA,HA,HA.I accidently stumbled across this site ,and with alot of questions and help Im starting to feel good about it this time.