Do we need gloves to protect from disease/parasites?

sillyqueen

I just bought a pair of gloves to wear while doing tank maintenence. Ive used them before, on and off with my f/w tank..how important is it to use with S/W? Do these marine animals carry any tropical parasites and such that can be transferred to humans?
Thanks

denisec

I don't have a technical answer for you. But in my years (more fresh than salt) I've never used gloves but I wash my hands each and every time I so much as stick a finger in the tank. So far no problems.

moruti

The only zonotic disease (i.e. passes from animals to humans) i've heard of in relations to salt water fish has been the notorious Pfisteria tha swept through the Cheasapeake Bay area. Usually it was spread through the bloody lesions from infected fish (and would therefore be readily visible if Your fish had it).
As a side note, i've noticed that w/ my hands in my aquarium (along w/ the hand washing afterwards) i've had far fewer colds during the year.

moo

I just bought some gloves myself...I learned the hard way. I was moving my live rocks around. When I was done, I felt stinging sensation all over my hands. It was bristle worms, so someone says. Those suckers stung me left and right.

pufferlover

I tried special tank gloves one time but found in my deep tanks they acted like a ballon and I had a hard time keeping my hand down at the bottom. Surgical gloves normally have powder in them and so I tend to shy away from them not knowing if the powder when wet could cause a problem. I to wash hands between putting them in my tanks and have no problems I can trace to me. Not sure if gloves would protect from a sting or not- do know I tried them once when I had a clown trigger who would come after my hand and he just bit thru the glove anyway. Stopped using the gloves and got rid of the Trigger (guess I taught it a thing or two).

mark-24

I dont think that we should worry about getting a disease or parasite, as much as we need to worry about our hands and what on them going into the tank. I wouldn't worry too much unless you had a reef tank, but the one thing that does bug me is the sw on my hands, it feels like my skin shrinks around hand.
-Mark

sillyqueen

Thanks everyone..Its awkward to use em if Im just fixing my lettuce clip or something, but I think I'll use em for re-arranging and stuff.
Heres something I read...
(eg: protection against nematophores) and particularly 'Amoebic Dysentery'. Don't EVER drink aquarium water (for you and your pets). Wash your hands thoroughly with hot soapy water after you put them in the water. Never submerge your hands with open or healing wounds into the aquarium water. The aquarium is a wonderful habitat for protozoa. For more info, check out this site: Amoebic Dysentery.
Yikes!! I dont plan on drinking the stuff just yet!
;)