Do you cure your own live rock?

oct22baby

From what I've read, it's a stinky process. I would prefer to buy it already cured, because I do not have enough space to put it anywhere that it won't offend basically all of our living space. Hubby said I could have tank if it didn't smell, so this is something I'm hoping to avoid having to do in the house. Any thoughts??? Have you had luck with cured live rock that you purchased???

badoleross

I have purchased cured live rock several times and have always had good luck wit it. You are going to go through a small curing process because there is going to be some die off during shipping. You can do this in your main tank just get ready for water changes and skimming. The smell from this is not bad at all.

ice4ice

Whether live rock is purchased cured or not, it's best to take care of the die offs. One way you can cure LR is do it the garage or small room in the basement using large rubbermaid tubs.

nyhcx516x

when getting cured LR from SWF.com, how smelly is the "have to do it anyway" curing going to be. I am going to get my LR from here and cure it in my tank, i was just wondering if my roomate is going to kill me for it or not....

oct22baby

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
Whether live rock is purchased cured or not, it's best to take care of the die offs. One way you can cure LR is do it the garage or small room in the basement using large rubbermaid tubs.
I don't have a garage or basement option - so whatever has to be done, has to be done in the house, which is why I'm steering away from any process that is said to be long and stinky if possible.

dragonzim

I bought 2 batches of mail order live rock. I didnt get it from this site, but I cant see it being much different. The rock did smell a little when I first got it home, but once it went into the water I didnt smell anything anymore. Just make sure your filters are running and if you have a skimmer, use it. I think that by heavily skimming the water while the rock was curing it helped keep the smell down