Do you ever feed live brine shrimp?

crazyzeus1

I know that brine shrimp are like candy for fish. Ours just went NUTS the one time I put some in (Foxface was new & wasn't eating, so LFS suggested I try live brine to "put something in his belly").
Does anyone ever feed live brine shrimp? Do the live version have any nutritional value?

reefnut

I never do but for your FF it may help him to begin eating... live baby brine is best for nutrition.

chipmaker

I usually put a batch or two or live shrimp in every week...Gives em some live stuff top eat, and keeps em busy eating all those little specs throughout the water column........I hatch out 2 batchs of LS, and feed em also to my baby betta and guppies.but the saltwater takes gets the majority of them.

hurt

I usually make a batch every two weeks. It's very easy to do. I feed them to my DT and refugium at least once a day. My clown gets really exicted about them.

crazyzeus1

OK...so you say you make a "batch". Is that the brine shrimp cysts I see sold around the internet? Our LFS sells live brine shrimp, which seems easier to me...
How easy is it to "make a batch"?
FWIW...our Foxface eats like a pig now. Just took him a few days to get adjusted & for me to find a food that he really, really likes (Formula Two pellets, flakes, & Emerald Entree frozen...plus anything else I put in the tank!)..

hurt

All I did, was buy some brine shrimp eggs off the online auction site for $6. When I change my water, I take a gallon of the old water and put it into a gallon jug. I then add some eggs, and put an air stone in the water. After 2-3 days, you have baby brine. I then suck them up with my spot feeder and feed my tank and refugium. The egg shells will rise to the top and you want to try and avoid putting the shells into the tank. It's very easy and cheap to do.

cora

Hurt— do you have to keep the water a certain temp for the eggs to hatch? What about the ones you don't use? How long do they live?

hurt

Yes, to a point. I have my setup under a grow light to help make sure the temp does not go too low. They last a while, right now I still have 2 vials that are 8 months old and their still hatching.