do you ever feel like you can't do this

criketnest

After seeing my sally get eaten I keep wondering if i can do this. I get advice from everyone on this tank and it seems like nothing I do is right. I get advice from fish store guy who does not say anything when I buy Puffer with my cleaning crew. Not he may eat you crabs etc.
So I come here and mention what I bought and get a oohh he may eat your crabs. So I ask the fish store. and they say He wont eat your large crabs maybe your hermits. All this after I buy the 75.00 Cleaning Crew and the Puffer.
LFS says water sg is fine, here they say no. Read book book says betweeen 1.020 to 1.025. So who is right? What do I listen to? Book does not always have answer to the question I want to ask. Even the book on marine fishes doesn't tell me that my puffer is going to eat my large crabs. Just may eat small inverts. My Sally was large. about the size of a quarter.
I am sooo Confused and thinking This is not for me. Maybe I should just stick to live rock. At least I won;t get emotionally attached. Or hate them Like I hate the Damsels.
thanks for listening
Chris

1journeyman

Originally Posted by criketnest
My Sally was large. about the size of a quarter.
Actually, that's a very small Sally Lightfoot.
Read a couple of good books (sounds like you have) and ask questions... then go with the consensous.
Most of all though... begin to think through this hobby for yourself. The puffer for instance.. why wouldn't it eat your crustaceans?
This hobby definitely has a steep learning curve. The rewards are sweet though.

mudplayerx

I would listen to the people here. I have since day one and I have had nothing but great results with my tank.

criketnest

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
The puffer for instance.. why wouldn't it eat your crustaceans?
I can understand that it might eat the small hermit crabs that But the puffer I have is one of the sharp nosed puffers with small mouth. I asked the LFS if he would bother the crabs and they said not the larger ones. I mean compared to the some of the hermits I got the Sally was huge.
Than reading the book it says to feed the puffer at least 3 times a day. LFS says to feed him once a day.
which is right?
Chris

1journeyman

Criketnest,
I'd go with a known author over a LFS, unless you know the employee and know what tanks they are raising.

aw2

See...the main thing is...LFS are out for profit. Sure, you'll find some that actually care about their customers, but it's few and far in between.
I'm sure all of us have wanted to give up at one time or another...I know I sure have.
But, if it's what you love, then you gotta stick it out.
There's so much information floating all over the internet, that it gets crazy to keep up with. The only thing you can really go by is personal experiance and the advice of people that have been in the hobby alot longer and have been through the same situations that you have.
It's a tough hobby...that's all there is to it. But, it's always worth it in the end.

mikeyjer

IF you really ever have a doubt about what your LFS says, post it on here! But like what was said above, your sally isn't that big. But your puffer will grow too, so one way or another, it'll eat sally eventually even if sally is really big. Ask questions here, people give you good points! :happyfish