Do you guys think this is a good light combination for my tank?

mmync

Ok, I am trying to decide on what lights I should get for my soon to be reef tank. My tank is 180 gallons. The dimensions are 67"Long x 24"deep x 26"high. So here is my situation, I know for sure that I want 3 250w metal halides. Know I just bought 2 55w power compacts and they came with 10,000k bulbs. I was planning on using the power compacts for the actinics but after doing some reading I have been hearing that power compacts are not to good for actinics and that vho actinics blow them away so I thought I should probably get some vho's for the actinics. Now that leaves me with an unused pair of power compacts. So I am wondering if you guys thought this would be a nice combination or if you would recommend me going another route. Here it is, 3 250w metal halides at 20,000k and then use the 2 55w power compacts with the 10,000k bulbs in them and then some vho's for the actinics. I know it might sound crazy and probably an unecesarry overkill so that is why I would like to know your opinions. Thanks everyone.:)

dburr

At 20k MH you wont want atinics. That is blue. I would just put in the 10k PC's with them. Or, 10k or 12k MH and the atinic PC's to have sun rise sun set affect.
The PC's are now atinic not the blue ones they used to be.

The higher the K, the bluer it is correct?
Im going with somthing like you, I also have a 180 gallon tank. 72 x 24 x 24 and I am getting 3 x 250 10k Bulbs and getting 2 140x2 vho actinics. I am gonna add to that, my old PC lights which are 2 10k and 2 7100k. Which would be about 1250 watts of light in my tank. Is that too much white? or would that just be perfect?

mmync

So am I on the right track when thinking I shouldnt use the pc's for actinics but get some vho's for actinics?