do you have to have a protein skimmer?

i am about to set up a 30 gallon fish only tank. i need to kno if you have to have a protein skimmer? i have a 3-stage canister filter(mechanical,chemical, and biological filtration). can i use just that foe my filtration? i need help please!!!

rslinger

As I stated before a cheap skimmer and a powerhead would be better than the canister. Also be carefull of what you put in a 30g. I would never put more than three small clean eating fish in one. And you should use sand and live rock for sure. PM me if you need some sand. i will send you 20 lbs for free if you pay the shipping.

1990jpyj

i ran my 55g tank with fowlr for almost a year with no problems. i didnt have the money to get a good one so i just waited. i never had a problem. i just did alot of water changes. to get out all the poop
out

flricordia

For a fish onlyh tank that is going to recieve feeding daily, yes, you will need a skimmer. For a reef 30gl with few fish, plenty of LR and a refugium, no, a skimmer you don't have to have for the most basic reef. For an sps tank you probably will need a skimmer though along with pmaintaining proper calcium levels.
I don't run a skimmer on my reef, but I only have 2 fish that get fed 1 to 2 times a week. Anymore than that and I would hook a skimmer up.