Do you just need a di filter??????

steven's un

It seems, from explanations of what the di filter does, that it would be the only thing needed to purify tap water........would this be just as good as a ro filter...................................

bang guy

Actually it's better than RO. The problem is that the resins are MUCH more $$ than a RO membrane.
Your best value is to prefilter with RO and then deionize. There is a "Tap Water Purifier" than is simply a DI. Not too bad but it would be more economical to filter out most of the impurities cheaply and then polish the water with the expensive DI resins.

demosthenes

Exactly. If you simply used a DI resin, it would need to be replaced very often, and they are much more expensive than the RO filter resins. So, as Bang Guy said, you should first filter out the larger impurities and such, and then use a DI resin to finish the job, that way you save yourself a lot of trips to the LFS and a lot, I mean a lot, of money.

iceburger

OMG!!! i just realized it...i've had a DI system hooked up to my sink for about a year...hahaha i've been putting water conditioner in my DI water...heh...
BTW, it does close to 50 GPH...yes thats right 50 GPH!!!

demosthenes

To tell you the truth, 50 GPH for a DI filter is actually on the slower end. For RO, it is somewhat less effective and much slower, but is much cheaper and lasts much longer, but DI resins remove many more toxins and such, and also make water on demand, so you're filter is really only limited to the GPH of your faucet, but the DI resin must be replaced very often if not used with a complementary RO filter.