Do you light your fuge 24/7 ?

bona42na

And while I have you , what do you light your fuge with. Would the green plant bulbs maybe be better if all we are concerned with is keeping our macros happy ? Thanks Peter

reefnut

I run both of mine 24/7... full of grape macro algae which is know to go sexual. Preference would be RDP but not until I get some safer macro algae...

bona42na

Thanks to both of you and all who answer. RDP obviously stands for nighttime Im thinking maybe (reverse daylight protocal?) or s what and what exactly happens when macro algae goes sexual ? Forgive my newbieness here Thanks Peter

razoreqx

a lights of america floodlight from homedepot over my 20g fuge.. it has a 65w power compact 6500k bulb
Also does well for me.
I run my lights during the night, opposite my display tanks lighting to level out my PH swings.

bona42na

Thanks Kip, great to know . Currently I have some Halimeda in my fuse and I just got some Mangrove trees yesterday and am starting to set them up. Any experience with either of those ?

spmnarciso

I just heard that leaving fug lights on for 24/7 is no good. Eventually with time that macro will die and pretty much turn into mush. The way I look at it, is if that was the way to grow plants, why doesn't a greenhouse leave its lights on like that. At first I left mine on 24/7, and had no issues, but now that I switched my plants are growing faster. It was a marine scientist that has been running reefs for 25yrs. now, who kind of explained the whole thing and it made sense to me. But this board is all about experiences and opinions, so it really up to you and what believe to be correct.