Do you need to do a water change when you have a protien skimmer?

karvis

lately i have seen things, and people at the lfs(customers), saying that since they have a skimmer they do a 50% change every 3 months(fish) or a 50% every 2 months(inverts&fish). can you do this? can you stop completly?

mrdrago

I'm no expert on the subject, and just getting my reef tank started after several years out of the hobby. However, I believe you should still change your water. I change about 15% every 4 weeks. See what others say have to say.

galina

I change 5-10% weekly. I think regular small changes beat annual/bimonthly larger changes by large. Just me .02. And I have a protein skimmer as well. A skimmer will take waste out of the water but it just dosn't replace water changes.
Galina

nm reef

A protien skimmer does a good job at removing the stuff we don't want....and regular water changes do a good job of replacing trace elements. Personally I no longer run a skimmer on my reef...but I do on my fish only system. Both get a 10% water change about once a month. I'd suggest smaller water changes than 50%....and I'd suggest a regular schedule of water changes........just makes sense to me...skimmer or not. :cool:

susiepan

I have a Skimmer also, and I still do water changes on a regular basis..
I try to do 15-20 percent changes, every 4-5 weeks..Keeps the tanks and critters happier and healthier I think...JMO..
~Susie ;)

blondenaso1

The need for water changes is completely subjective. I doubt anyone has done some firm research on its effects on reef tanks. We replace trace elements through the use of supplements anyway. So the theory that it replenishes trace elements is incosiquential. What is possibly replenishes is nutrients like phosphates, nitrates, and heavy metals like zinc and copper. RO/DI water is a little short of staight H20! So there are no trace elements there. What water changes do do is control pH and Alk, remove nutrients, and balance water parameters. So yes...In a non-skimmed system with higher disolved and undisolved organic compounds, more frequent water changes to remove excess nutrients would be benificial. The fact that you think it makes the fish "look" happier is not concrete eveidence that it is in fact benificial. Do I do water changes? Yes. How often? Couldn't tell you. Whenever it crosses my mind and I haven't done one in a while. Do I think they are good? Well.....I think the fish look happier!
But hey, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.