Do You Qaurantine New Fish?

ninjamini

Depends on the expense and attachment to your fish. Also the coral list. I would hate to pull an established tank apart to get out a fish with ick.

m0nk

Every time I QT a new fish they end up getting ich, so if I didn't QT all the time, I'd always end up with ich. Of course, ich has just wiped out my tank (I think only my 2 clowns will survive this time), just because I didn't QT coral, so now I'll be doing that too.

devil dog

Originally Posted by ninjamini
http:///forum/post/2469655
Depends on the expense and attachment to your fish. Also the coral list. I would hate to pull an established tank apart to get out a fish with ick.
Yeah I look at the fish that I'm going to put in and where I got it from. With that I will decide what to do with it...

mess88

i would qt . 50/50 chance fish is sick. Never qt fish when i first got into this but over time i learned qt is the only way to go. last fish i didn't qt give my other fish flukes,that sucked.

teen

if i had the space and wasnt so lazy, yea, i would quarantine.
i dont though. it helps that i only have a 30 gallon tank, i mean, i have 3 fish and dont plan on adding any more. if i had a bigger tank and still had a bunch of fish i wanted to add, id definetly find a way to QT.

I'm about to buy a CBBF and LMB from SWF. I havent had any trouble with diseases with fish so far with my purchases from swf. Has anyone had a problem with fish they purchase from this site?

teen

ive always got healthy, nice looking fish from this site.
CBBF arent the easiest of fish to keep. one of the more difficult IMO.

aquaknight

I QT from now on. It's pretty much when you loose you're first tank full of fish, you'll change your ways (or you're smart enough from the get-go lol).

yes....most definatly, with all the horror stroies out there...i would never leave it to chance, i couldnt imagine going thru the nightmare of an infested reef because i didnt QT, way to much to loose

metweezer

It's not just the quality of the site you are making your purchase from, but the stress your animal is going through in that dark box being shipped to you.
Steve

ifirefight

I also QT... And 1 more thing to add...If you QT everything,you will never find yourself pulling your hair out,searching the "disease and treatment" page for help.
I beleive this hobby has enough things to keep me worried,without having to deal with an ICH outbreak,or something else that is totally preventable if you just take the time to do it the right way. I know everybody wants instant gratification..by seeing the new fish in the DT...but as you all know,you cannot rush things in this hobby.

M

mopardwh

I never have before, but I may eventually. How do most of you do it? Using a seperate compartment in the tank? Or having a totally seperate "hospital tank"?
Also, if you buy a perfectly healthy fish from the LFS that you've been watching for awhile, what would be the point? Wouldn't that just add more stress?

coralreefer

i dont think it is necesary, because my LFS quarantines them for me. he has extremely healthy fish and coral, so...

keri

Yes and no, mostly yes though. I did not QT my Scooter Blenny because I would not have enough pods in my QT to keep him fed, the other fish yes.
I did not qt the second fish I got for my first tank and it brought ich and they both died :(

stubbbs

i am new to this hobby and about 2 months ago i did not qt a yellow tang and within 2-5 days it wiped out my tank. qt is a pain in the butt but its a bigger pain to remove the unhealthy fish, let the tank go fallow for 3-4 weeks and then start to reintroduce. i simply bought a rubbermaid storage container, cycled it w water from the dt and qt everything. i tried qt with a small 5-10 gallon tank but my fish were always too stressed and they didnt fair well (either developed ich or just died) but better to be in the rubbermaid and ot in the dt. they have plenty of room in the rubbermaid and they are easy to care for.