Do you run carbon

fedukeford

Advantages- clearer/cleaner water, smells less
Disatvantages- can get kinda expensive after a while, if you go a while w/o using carbon then suddenly use a lot the colors might bleach
Feduke

reefkprz

Originally Posted by fedukeford
Advantages- clearer/cleaner water, smells less
Disatvantages- can get kinda expensive after a while, if you go a while w/o using carbon then suddenly use a lot the colors might bleach
Feduke
i agree, the reason it causes bleachign is after a while your water yellows and light penetration isnt as good, if you suddenly run a lot of carbon your water clears fast and light intensity jumps, causing bleaching.

watson3

Agree with everything said..I run it through one of my cannisters, and think it does great for chemical cleansing

ahmoser

Maybe a stupid question but it sounds like you all are saying you can't run chemipure and carbon at the same time?

shrmnator

i dont run carbon in my sump, fuge, or display.. it is in my ro/di unit though, so I cannot say I dont use it at all.. When using carbon in your system, you will want to change it weekly.. a few reasons:
after about a week, the bacteria will actually cover the porous surface of the carbon, stopping it from absorbing what it is there for.. as for the yellowish color.. i dont get that in my tank.. i have read that if u do not change your carbon often enough, then it can turn your water yellowish..
I stick with natural filtration, and good husbandry! (weekly - biweekly water changes)..

anonome

Chemipure is carbon, just a different aspect of carbon. I personally run chemipure in my hob (hang on back) filter. I have one hob filter for this very reason. I have found no difference in the corals,fish, or inverts to doubt this decision. My water is crystal clear, and no offensive smells. I do however, take it out from time to time and run just the normal filtration.
It was stated that the carbon gets clogged more frequently in a salt tank, this is a very true statement. I recharge the bags after a week to ten days to activate the carbon again for use. Read the directions, it tells you how to do this. I have been doing this for over 3 years and am very pleased with the results. (not with the same bags, LOL!)

bojik

Originally Posted by Anonome
Chemipure is carbon, just a different aspect of carbon. I personally run chemipure in my hob (hang on back) filter. I have one hob filter for this very reason. I have found no difference in the corals,fish, or inverts to doubt this decision. My water is crystal clear, and no offensive smells. I do however, take it out from time to time and run just the normal filtration.
It was stated that the carbon gets clogged more frequently in a salt tank, this is a very true statement. I recharge the bags after a week to ten days to activate the carbon again for use. Read the directions, it tells you how to do this. I have been doing this for over 3 years and am very pleased with the results. (not with the same bags, LOL!)
How do you recharge the carbon? Without replacing it?

anonome

I recharge by running under fresh water. If it is used in a freshwater tank you run it under saltwater. This is good for 3-4 times only.

chilwil84

if you run a mixed reef it is supposed to remove the chemicals the softies release that restrick the growth of sps

bojik

Originally Posted by Anonome
I recharge by running under fresh water. If it is used in a freshwater tank you run it under saltwater. This is good for 3-4 times only.
ah ok

anonome

Originally Posted by chilwil84
if you run a mixed reef it is supposed to remove the chemicals the softies release that restrick the growth of sps
That is a good question, I have softies and LPS corals, but not hard corals due to lighting. I know that the chemipure helps when the softies are releasing their slim....as we speak right now. My toadstool is releasing slime now. My measurements are the same as when they are in the normal mode. So, I would like yes.

anonome

I would also say that I do not let the chemipure stay in the tank longer than 10 days. I recharge it, and then place it in about a week later. The directions say that it is useable for 3 months.......not so in a saltwater tank. Your nitrates will go sky high due to dietrus. Especially if you have any sand sifters. Clean it every 7-10 days and you will be pleased.

tx reef

Chemi Pure will not cause any ill effects if you leave it in for any length of time. It will simply quit working after a certain period. It will not leach anything into your system or cause high nitrates.