Do you superglue your corals in place?

jeffreyyy

Hello Everybody,
I first got into SW b/c of the fish and now I'm into SW for the corals...well the fish too
But I bought a Zoa frag and had a hard time finding a place for it b/c of my water flow. I was wondering what you do to get it to stay where you want it too? Do you superglue (not that I'm going to use this b/c I'm sure it's called something else that is tank safe) the frag to LR or do you just find a hole that it will stay in?
It's in a spot where it seems to stay but I'm affraid that it will not get enough light. The Zoa opened up and its still open as of right now but is there anything I should look for if it's not getting enough light?
I have a 120g w/ 65x4 pc lighting (which I know is not enough but I will be upgrading soon to some T5 HO lights) and the Zoa is about half way down the tank on a piece LR.
Should I leave it where its at or glue it to a small piece of LR and put on top towards the light?
Sorry about the length of this thread but once I start I can't stop
Thank you ,
Jeff

jaymz

Yes many people do super glue there frags in place. And yes you can actually use super glue. Once hardened is it pretty much inert and will not affect your tank in anyway except making it look nice with all the corals nicely placed.
Almost any brand of super glue will work. I use the gel type because its easier to work with, just look for cyanoacrylate on the tube and thats the stuff you are looking for, most super glues are made of this.
The lighting you have is sufficient for zoa's, closer to the light the better, but also if you want to see them out and looking good they need a decent current of water flowing over them. So try to place them in the best spot to get both, a good amount of light and water movement.
Zoa's are a great begginer coral, tough little guys that you really have to

[hr]
up to kill them if you bought them in a healthy condition. If they close up when the light is on and dont seem to want to come out they are telling you are in dire need of a water change.
Sorry about the long answer

snakeblitz33

Everyone's all excited about the T5's... I don't see the fuss. Yes, they have almost the same par values as metal halides, yes, they use less wattage for the application, yes they supposidly have a long bulb life... BUT...
T5's loose their spectrum of lighting in 6 to 8 months. I have a nova extreme pro 8x54 watt system and I noticed that in 5 months it went from a nice cool white color to a noticeably yellow color.
If I were you with a 120 potential reef tank, I would bite the bullet and buy some retrofit 250 watt 10,000k metal halides. If you want, back them up with a couple of 460nm actinic T5's.
To answer your original question though, ONLY use superglue gel if you are going to use any cyanoacrylate product. If you use the runny stuff, you risk letting it get into the water column and potentially into pumps. You can even apply superglue underwater.
It is best, though, to dry off a place on a rock and dry off the base of the coral and then glue it on and wait 30 seconds or so for the glue to set.
Good luck and happy reefing!

groupergenius

Definitely use the gel type. Whether superglue, krazyglue, or IC gel.
When you are gluing underwater,
I have found that it works best if you sacrafice your finger, put some gel on your finger and spread it on the rock, then put some gel on the frag, then attach.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2588248
Definitely use the gel type. Whether superglue, krazyglue, or IC gel.
When you are gluing underwater,
I have found that it works best if you sacrafice your finger, put some gel on your finger and spread it on the rock, then put some gel on the frag, then attach.
+1 for gel.
And if you do use your finger to spread the glue, then you'll have a fun time spending all day picking it off, lol. Sigh... The sacrifices we make.

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
http:///forum/post/2588560
+1 for gel.
And if you do use your finger to spread the glue, then you'll have a fun time spending all day picking it off, lol. Sigh... The sacrifices we make.
haha true.
I hardlet glue mine. Just ifnd a good spot for it and if it looks good it'll be there for a while until I get ready to change some things up!

jeffreyyy

Thanks everyone! I will glue-gel it in place this weekend...just wanted to make sure it was okay to do.
I love this site!!!