Do you think My Tank is Too Crowded? PART 2

jam1e

ok everybody .. I now have an updated version of what I want in my 65 Gallon FOWLR .. so .. tell me what you think ... They're in the order that I'd introduce them ... any advice?
1 - Juvenile Blue Hippo Tang
1 - Yellow Longnosed Butterflyfish
1 - Porcupine Puffer
1 - Volitan Lionfish

S

surfinusa

get rid of the porcupine puffer,volitan lion,and the harlequin tusk then get someother smaller fish

v-lioness

Hello Jam1e, the Volitan will just get to large for your tank, it will grow much faster than your other fish.
To help you understand this more, I will quote this from the Lion info sheet :
The main problem with Volitans lionfish is their size; the cute 2" juvenile fish at the store will reach 8-10" in one year's time (with proper feedings) and within 6 more months it will obtain a maximum size of 15". These fish easily outgrow their tankmates and will frequently eat them. Any fish that is equal to half the body size of the Volitans lion, is considered food, and will be eaten in time. Additionally, a 15" long fish with a large pectoral fin span requires a large aquarium ...........
So the problem here is it will grow fast and make a meal of your other fish, if the puffer does not harass it to death first! Yes people do mix puffers and lions which is just not recommended, but it has been done in larger tanks. And when I say it can be done, I do not mean those that keep this mix for 3 , 6 or even 12 months, to me that is just not long term........
Another problem I see is Puffers can be nippy and can not only kill the lion but nip and harass your other fish.........
Just by looking at your list, you want large fish in a small tank, if you want the lion than just get the lion and give it space, if you want the puffer again just get the puffer and that's it...............
Hope this helps,
Kaye

anthropo

Originally Posted by Jam1e
ok everybody .. I now have an updated version of what I want in my 65 Gallon FOWLR .. so .. tell me what you think ... They're in the order that I'd introduce them ... any advice?
1 - Porcupine Puffer
1 - Volitan Lionfish
1 - Harelquin Tuskfish
you got high hopes when it comes to that size tank

iiinadav

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Could a hippo tang (any tang) go in a 30 gallon.
Not at all. They get way too big for a thirty gallon. They will probably need a minimum 65-70 gallon when they are juveniles and a minimum of 120 gallons as an adult. The yellow and Kole tang can probably be kept in a 55 or 65 gallon tank. The Kole tang needs lots of live rock and algae to graze on, so you will need an established tank or to supplement feed them algae sheets.

N

nereef

1 - Porcupine Puffer
1 - Volitan Lionfish
1 - Harelquin Tuskfish[/SIZE]
the first four will all outgrow that tank, and i don't know about the tuskfish.

seannmelly

Any lion that is considered a fullsize lion (i.e. not dwarf) will outgrow that tank, including the porc puffer, and harlequin tusk

anthropo

or an Antennata ...
you could get a dwarf lion, but then you'd still have to figure out what else to put in the tank. the fish you want are all too big for that tank. the hippo may grow slow but lions and puffers grow fast on top of which you want a tusk that needs at least 55 to himself.

lion_crazz

No, the tank would still be too small. The puffer and lion need at least a 180, and the tang and tusk need at least a 125.

lion_crazz

It's not about the number of fish, it is how large the fish grow and how much swimming space they need. Porcupine puffers get 18", and volitan lions get 15". Hippo tangs need A TON of swimming space.

seannmelly

what if I had this list in a 90 Gallon FOWLR? .. I might convert my 90
I would have to say no.
Antenatta Lion- will grow up to 8"
Radiata Lion-will grow up to 10"
Volitan Lion-up to 15"
Porcupine Puffer-up to 14"
Harlequin Tusk-up to 10"
Hippo Tang-up to 14"