Do your fish act more peppy after a water change?

miaheatlvr

One thing i have noticed! after a good water change where i even syphon some of the gravel,, my fish really seem MORE happy and peppy, does anybody else notice this as well?

frankthetank

I've been using a piece of garden hose for water changes... I notice that the sand just sucks right through it when siphoning. If you use one of those hoses made for water changes does that stop this from happening? I have 100% live sand bed.

xdave

Garden hoses are treated with many chemicals, including antibacterials, and should never be used for an aquarium. Yes, aquarium gravel cleaners don't suck up the gravel.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by xDave
Garden hoses are treated with many chemicals, including antibacterials, and should never be used for an aquarium. Yes, aquarium gravel cleaners don't suck up the gravel.
Thank you very much, I will go get one.

teen

my fish and corals all seem happier after a water change. the tank overall looks a lot cleaner/happier.

hatessushi

I don't notice any change in fish behavior after a water change. I also use a UV sterilizer and a DeNitrifier and my fish are always very active happy.

poniegirl

Anytime I am by the tank for a long period or have reason to "handle" the tank, they behave a bit more zippy. Not erratic, but excited, for sure. Not scared, they don't hide.
Certain of my fish actually like to test the new water, as it pours in. Blasted seahorse is the worst offender.
I know we aren't supposed to (
) assign human emotions to these animals, but I do think they are social and recognize us as creators of "nice things", be it food, what-not.
Not sure if that makes sense, and no, I'm not on anything.

miaheatlvr

Just had to dig up this ole thread! Well just did a big water change and the fish are going nuts, Zipping around and seem to say "Thank You"! ha ha lol

appaloosa1

My clown loves water changes. He starts swimming really fast and playing with the water flow (he likes to swim against it then ride it back). it amkes me so happy to see him enjoy it!