doctor tang

albm

i was at my lfs today and they had a very nice tang they called it the doctor surgeon fish its very healthy and a shimering blue comes off it. but when i looked on the internet for some info the only site with the slightest bit to come up was wikipedia but it did not give me good enough info to buy it i have it on hold till tomorrow. so my question is has any one had this tang or know anything about it harder than most? or anything i really want it but is there anything to watch for or any reason this specific tang is not a good one like the clown or powder blue. my tanks been running for a year and a half i have 2 blue hippos just tiny is a doctor tang in the same genus im a little worried about getting it to be honest because i like to know as much as possible about the fish before i get it but this has nothing.
Thank you for absolutly any help at all

flower

Originally Posted by Albm
http:///forum/post/3219388
i was at my lfs today and they had a very nice tang they called it the doctor surgeon fish its very healthy and a shimering blue comes off it. but when i looked on the internet for some info the only site with the slightest bit to come up was wikipedia but it did not give me good enough info to buy it i have it on hold till tomorrow. so my question is has any one had this tang or know anything about it harder than most? or anything i really want it but is there anything to watch for or any reason this specific tang is not a good one like the clown or powder blue. my tanks been running for a year and a half i have 2 blue hippos just tiny is a doctor tang in the same genus im a little worried about getting it to be honest because i like to know as much as possible about the fish before i get it but this has nothing.
Thank you for absolutly any help at all

I can’t find a Doctor Tang, nor anything that you described is in my book on fish at all. I am using a Marine Fishes....500+ ....essential-to-know Aquarium species by Scott Michael

spanko

Get the scientific name from the fish store. Tangs have the common name of "surgeon fish".
"The name “surgeonfish” comes from their hard spines at the base of their tail. They have one spine on each side of their body that lies flat in a groove until the fish is provoked. In times of danger, a surgeonfish will flip its tail and the spines pop out like small knives. They resemble a surgeons’ scalpel, thus the name surgeonfish."
Darn common names.......................................

albm

i posted this same thing on 2 different forum subjects in hope that i would find help before this morning and on the other thread i got this scientific name acanthurus chirurgus they told me it was hard to find do you guys think it will get along fine with my blue hippos there about a third of his size

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Albm
http:///forum/post/3219615
i posted this same thing on 2 different forum subjects in hope that i would find help before this morning and on the other thread i got this scientific name acanthurus chirurgus they told me it was hard to find do you guys think it will get along fine with my blue hippos there about a third of his size
lol The Doctor fish get reallllyy big, so, unless you have a big tank, I wouldn't get it. Its not rare at all, they come from Florida and you can get them from divers for real cheap, but shipping would be a killer.

coral keeper

Also, I have a Surgeon fish BTW and hes about 8+ or so inches. I have a Brown-Eared Surgeonfish (Acanthurus gahhm or Acanthurus nigricauda) Here are a few pictures. :)

Getting cleaned by a Neon goby.

Video of him eating.
View My Video

albm

ill put some pics up of him swimming with my hippos when his colour starts to show more hes got a great blue covering his bottem and top fins along with his tail and the rest is a gray fading to black colour i love him.
And no worries on the big tank im currently in the build of a 200 i got the stand and the sump will be on friday so it should be no longer than a couple months and he is no were near the size of yours and hes not even really that shape but kind of similar. pics up ASAP