Does any one have any refugium designs?

a2hotz

I would like to make a refugium out of a 20g high tank. I want to be able to hang my seaclone 100 on it I have a little giant inline pump. I have a 96w PC light for the tank which is too strong to just waste on macro algae so I would like to have a seperate compartment for frags. If you can think of a way to add some fancy things, Im considering all options! Thanks yall!

sign guy

I have the one on the top and love its flow through design. You can get alot of flow through the chato. the second design allows you to controll the gph in the chamber you want

a2hotz

Well I dont feel like redoing half that picture so just imagine that there is a skimmer with its own pump next to the return pump.

a2hotz

What do you think if I were to only have the bioball chamber go half of the way back and have the skimmer next to it, as long as there is space...?

a2hotz

Designs are set... any sand suggestions? what kind of macro algae what else makes it a good refugium??

ibew

Originally Posted by A2hotz
Designs are set... any sand suggestions? what kind of macro algae what else makes it a good refugium??
I think sand is a good idea but optional I like calurpa more than cheto and have more growth out of it but people will differ in opinions here micro algea is very important no matter what type IMHO

ponderer

Have you calculated whether or not you have room to hold the extra overflow water that will drain into the fuge from the main tank when you have a power outage? Could cause a real mess if everything overflows.
John

maxalmon

Coralife makes a great light for just such a tank, its a 2x9w 7500k. Pretty compact, the one I have is about 9"x4"x1.5", maybe $25 if you search enough online. I have it over a much larger fuge and my chaeto has become somewhat of a algae monster, I started with a little clump about 4months ago that was the size of a baseball, now its a very dense matt thats about 20"L x 12"W x 8" thick and it's overflowing with pods, snails, even a HUGE teddybear crab calls this clump of chaeto home. My fuge is barebottom, or rather has a thin layer of LR rubble. I like things simple and my fuge is made out of a 45g tank, inside of this tank I placed a 5g smaller tank that both of my overflows drain into, also inside of this 5g tank sits my Needlewheel skimmer, I used this design because no matter what, the level of the 5g tank never changes, no matter how much evaporation there is, so I never have to adjust my skimmer. There are return pumps at each end of the fuge, no micro bubbles, took 5 minutes to make, cost $45 and I have tons of micro life and no micro bubbles..

sign guy

Originally Posted by SWABearF16
How are the baffles installed? Are they glass plates siliconed in place?
that is the best way

sign guy

Originally Posted by A2hotz
a dsb and chato are my wepon of choice