Does any one have any refugium designs?

deric203

Hey Max. I want the pictures of the tank. what kind of retail store. I'm in LV. Just starting. Whats a good LFS?

nightstalk

Sorry for busting in on your thread...
Does anyone know of a way to make it so that if there were a power outage the water from the main tank would not just start to flow out, overflowing the fuge and filling my room?

a2hotz

As far as keeping the water from overflowing in the sump on an poweroutage, I am going to put an inline check valve if there is such a thing...
If not, Ill drill a hole in the plumbing near the top of the tank. Ill put a peice of air hose through the hole so that a few inches of the airhose are in the plumbing and another inch or two are on the outside of it. Silicone it up and put a check valve on the airhose thats on the outside. If the power goes out the water will go backwards through the plumbing. The suction will pull air through the airhose and put air into the plumbing and break the syphon. Has anybody heard of any one doing this? I cant see why it wouldnt work.

I have a 96watt PC light im going to put over top of this... Is that overkill? Ill be using the sump as a refugim/ frag tank.

sign guy

as far as the over flow thing goes that is over kill just drill a 1/8 hole in your return lines just below waters level. pluss check valves are notorious for getting stuck I would play with the water leval in your fuge to find out were it needs to beat.
just do a few dry runs, turn your pump off and see how much room you have.
also chato needs about 67000k light and coral need about 15000k
I would keep the frags and the chato away
also chato loves high gph and can croud out corals

sign guy

a few recemendations on your drawing
get rid of the last baffle next to your pump and that second chamber of sand
that will have enough room for a power outage.
what program did you do that drawing in it looks great

a2hotz

I used paint.
Im a pretty good artist.
BRAGGIN TIME!

My girlfriends great great great grandparents.

Self Portrait

Did this a few years ago when I first got into saltwater.

a2hotz

but to get back on track... If I removed the second baffle, It wouldnt do anything. It would overflow into the 1st baffle. I think as long as at least keep the return high up in the tank, it will just suck a little bit and then suck air and lose the syphon.

sign guy

Originally Posted by A2hotz
but to get back on track... If I removed the second baffle, It wouldnt do anything. It would overflow into the 1st baffle. I think as long as at least keep the return high up in the tank, it will just suck a little bit and then suck air and lose the syphon.
the fifth baffle not the second and you lost me after that
great art by the way I print a lot of art at my shop and you deff. have tallant

a2hotz

Thanks, there more impressive in real life.
As far as the baffles go, I dont think that removing them will effect anything. I think.

sign guy

I was incorrect about the power outage but with water crashing over that last baffle on to the pump you will get miccro bubbles

tjake68

sign guy email tjake68@aol.com i cant do any drewings on the computer Im not to good on these crazy machines im lucky if i can sign on and find this site.but when it comes to sump designs i have quite a few i can draw up or take pics of and send to you. I have designs for refugiums wet drys trickle filters there all very basic and simple to make.Everyone has been used and work they are also very inexpensive to make :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

a2hotz

So algae and sand are the only things that make a good refugium? Seems like Im missing out on something... Thats too easy. What else can I do to fancy things up?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by A2hotz
So algae and sand are the only things that make a good refugium? Seems like Im missing out on something... Thats too easy. What else can I do to fancy things up?
you can add all kinds of live rock rubble, one of the best coral propagators I know (my idol) uses LR rubble in the wetdry section of his and buries his return pump in LR rubble too (big enough pieces so they dont get sucked in.)
I have a brittle star and a detritus clean up crew in mine too nassarius snails, limpets (how they got there i'll never know) I also have three types of caulerpa and cheato algae, and of course the everpresent bristle worm, only three hermits.