Does anybody use or can vouch for a product called ALGONE?

scsinet

I've never used it, but I can speak on a level of generality...
NEVER use chemical products to suppress algae growth. They almost never work and almost always cause more problems than they solve. Using them is attacking the symptoms, rather than the cause.
A healty aquarium should have minimal algae growth when detrivore crews, flow, and lighting is applied properly.
If you have excessive algae growth, look to these factors, in this order:
1. Nutrient Overload - Check your feeding regimen. You may be overfeeding your fish.
2. Water Change Schedule - Are you changing at least 10% of your water per week? Check your nitrates. If they are high all the time, this will cause lots of algae.
3. Do you have a "janitor crew?" - Hermit Crabs, snails, etc all help control this. Tangs are very useful as well.
4. Lighting - How long are your lights on per day? What type of lighting do you have? How much? What bulbs? What wavelength? Is sunlight shining directly on the tank?
... of course, you might be "just asking" in which case I just went off on this little diatribe for nothing...

miaheatlvr

Thanx SCS, i dont have ANY of those problems, i just left my LFS and i saw it on the counter and read the box and MY LFS owner people swear by it and he sells a ton of it! I just wanted to see if anybody else has heard about it or used it thats all. Nuf Said!

lion_crazz

SCSInet is right.
However, to answer your original question, that does not work very well at all. A customer of mine tried it repeatedly and it was a total waste.

gtiguy

WoW is all I can say, This is due to the fact that I had the worst thing happen to me in the hobby of marine fish/reefing...Green Tank Syndrome!!! Never thought i would see the day i came home to find my tank Pea Soup Green...I am very serious when i say i couldnt see anything in the tank besides the fish that would swim up to the glass, i had corals and everything, it all perished, (thank god the fish survived) and nothing seem to work to fix the problem....
It was def a nutrient overload of some kind, what ill never know but like the website suggests water changes big or small only add to the problem (which they did) and even swaping out the DSB (deep sand bed) i had didnt work either!!! At that point i was desperate, and i found the website for algone and i when i say that my tank went from pea soup green to crystal clear in about 3 weeks-month using only the algone and limiting my lighting its absolutely true, i even have pics below to prove it.....if it wasnt for algone i would have thrown in the towel for good trust me on that bc i had just upgraded from a 30g bow fish only to a 65g small reef....now if it lowered my nitrates/nitrites like it says i couldnt tell ya but it did balance out my water column and clear out the bad bacteria and such....maybe it was a fluke but it worked for me and i am currently using it now after so many months w/o to help maintain my tank even more!!!