Does anyone catch their own sharks?

mattiej

I am staying in New Smyrna Beach this week and have fished NSB surf and Playalinda Beach and have only caught a couple sharpnose. Tomorrow morning I will be fishing Flagler, hoping to nail a couple of bonnets. From reports it seems that the pups have been running up until last week so I am hopeful there are still some around. Any advice as to locations that might produce for me. Thanks

mbrennan

There is a small public beach (Bonner Beach?) just north of Flagler that I saw a couple of small bonnetheads caught at last Sunday. I saw some bonnets and sharpnose caught at the beach at Marineland about 3 to 4 weeks ago. Standard surf tackle using pompano/whiting rigs with cut bait or shrimp. Good luck!

mbrennan

P.S. Heavier gear sometimes is not so gentle or easy on a fish. We used to use 400 lb handlines on bungies from a sailboat deck and regularly caught 60 to 80 lb wahoo and dolphin. They died pretty quickly since we didn't stop they generally had broke necks and/or were drowned by the time we got them on deck. They were easy to pull in because they would be planning on the waves as we hand over hand hauled them to the boat. I know, not very sportsmanlike but we were subsistance fishing.

mbrennan

mattiej, If you are up here Saturday maybe we can fish together. Email me at mike.brennan.com if you want to go fishing in Flagler.

mattiej

Unfortunately I will be leaving Saturday morning for home (15 hours away). I have a trip planned for the morning and hopefully one last chance Friday night but I'm not sure where I am going to try. I hope to have some luck tomorrow as reports have been favorable for Flagler.

sebae09

thanks for all the advice keep it comeing
mattiej did you change your AIM sn? i never see you on and was wanting to talk to you because i have a trip comeing up and an hopeing on getting something this time.