does anyone else have Great Danes

babs

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone else has Great Danes. I have 2 females, One black with white markings she's 4 and one harliquien, she's 2 . I have bred the older one Sassy twice and she has had beautiful puppies. I am curently looking for a black male to stud Harlie to, This will be her first time breeding and I am looking forward to her having puppies. If anyone else has interest in this ,email me and maybe i'll have a puppy for you in the future.
I also have a friend that has blue danes.
This is a wonderful breed of dogs and they make wonderful companions.I am looking forward to hearing from other dane owners.
I'll post pictures as soon as i get them in the pc.

medguy80

hey i have always wanted to have one can u tell me about them. how long they live things liek that . thanks brock

michelle l

I have one. His name is Neo, and he's 4 1/2.
Before you breed again, these gentle giants have a lot of health issues that you should be aware of. I recommend that you visit Great Danes Online... www.danesonline.com. Read through the posts in the breeding/whelping forum. It would be very helpful to you.

S

simm

I second that. Do LOTS of reasearch. Danes are not to be taken lightly. How you feed them and what you feed them are very important as well.

molamola

We had three Great Danes when I was a kid. We had two yellows and one brindled. Best dogs on the planet. They were so gentle and loyal, and actually protective when they needed to be. It's true about the health problems though. All three died of similar digestive problems.
I still wouldn't mind getting another one someday.

babs

I am an avid member of danes on line, and i am good friends with a kennel owner in Ill. I have had both dogs checked for the hip problems, and they are tested regularly for thyroid and whatever the vet recomends. I have 2 very healthy danes and they are well kept for.
I enjoyed the pictures of your danes as well, i hope to have mine on tomorrow.
Sassy is camera shy.but harlie loves the attention.

babs

like the other ones said, you can learn alot from danes on line. it is a web site set up for danes, kinda like this one, you can learn from it. You do have to research alot about this breed, they are very large dogs and are the most loyal ones i know. My 2 are so good with kids.never got angry with the toddler crawling over them.LOL
Having a Dane isn't any different than any other breed, they all have some health risk they are higher to have than another.As long as you care for them and see your vet you know you've done what it takes.
If you do look for one though, look and pedigree and hip & thyroid test.
good luck..

dave flood

This is our second one, the first one had the problem of the bones groing faster than the body. she died a few years later of that thing were the stomich flips over & food cannot pass through. We now have a black male for a few years now ,he's crazy.

michelle l

Oh wow, Babs, cool, it's a small world! Who is the breeder you are friends with in Illinois? I don't know a lot of them here, but I do know a few. I may know them. I have met them all through Danes Online...it's a fantastic site. I'd love to see pics of your Danes!
I suggest to anyone here who may be considering a Dane that they go there and research. It's amazing how many issues there are with this breed compared to other breeds, and I always tell people that is why it is so important that you research them carefully so that they know Danes are the breed for them. They require a lot of commitment. Some people just think "Oh, cool, huge dog, I'll get one and keep him outside." That is a huge no-no with Danes (or any dog, in my opinion.) They have little body fat, so if you keep them in the cold they can't take it. They also overheat easily because of their large size when it is very hot. But most of all, these big babies absolutely love their familes so much that it causes emotional problems to be separated from them for very long.
It's also important that you research your breeder carefully, and get proof that the sire and dam had health clearances. I don't mean through a vet, I mean the actual certification by an organization such as OFA. A CHIC number is great (kind of an all-in-one certification of health through OFA), and more and more breeders are getting them now.
These guys are prone to cardiomyopathy (a heart problem which a sire and dam can be tested for each year), thyroid disease (also can be tested for in parents), wobblers (neck vertibrae problem that causes weakness in the limbs and possible inability to walk), and bloat, among other things. (Bloat isn't hereditary as far as researchers can determine, but it is something that people need to know about if they are thinking of Dane.) As puppies, their bones grow so rapidly that if given too much protein, they can develop a problem called HOD (Hypertropic Osteodystrophy). It is very painful and causes high fevers, and on occasions, puppies can die from it. Danes puppies *can not* be fed puppy food, even formulated for large-breed puppies. It has too much protein. You have to stay around 22-23%. Calcium is also to be avoided in Danes.
I also tell people that they should buy from breeders who are active in the show ring. These are the people who are going the extra mile to assure that their dogs measure up to the breed standard. Danes are so large that their physical conformation is important to issues such as neck structure (too long a neck has been suspected in contributing to Wobbler's) and overall soundness. It also will inform you, although it isn't always to be completely relied upon, that the parents have sound temperaments. This is also crucial in a dog the size of a Dane. You don't want a dog from questionable breeding who may bite you or your family or neighbors, because they can do a lot of damage.
All that said, they are wonderful dogs and worth every extra effort it takes to own them. They are truly a great breed of dog.

babs

Originally Posted by Michelle L
Here is my boy when he was younger and less gray, in 2003.
I know aadanes and ckdanes from Mt. Vernon. They are both good breeders. I am friends with ckdanes she also has blues. She has 4 for sale now. I agree that these are the best. I'm still trying to get my pictures on this site, I ain't very bright i guess.. LOL

michelle l

:) As you can see, I have finally figured out the pic feature LOL! I had to resize them to get them to fit. Maybe that is why yours hasn't worked?
I don't think I know any of the breeders that you mentioned...although CK Danes sounds familiar. Since I have a fawn, I am a lot more familiar with fawn/brindle breeders. I asked because sometimes you never know if you have mutual friends...the dane world is a small one!
Keep working on those pics. I could look at pics of people's Danes all day!

babs

Still working on pictures, someone told me once how to downsize it through another program, i'll work on it more in a couple days.
I love the pictures.
if u go to danes on line, Illinois, then ckdanes, ckdanes has brindle as well as the black/white, and the blues.
i will be breeding my harlequien soon, It will be her first litter. and probably last. i'm not looking to breed her alot.

babs

I have bred Harlie, the Harlequien, So i will have puppies to post pic. of in a couple months. I think she will be great mommy.

mimzy

Ooooooh Dane puppies!! :jumping:
You'd BETTER post pix - we'll all be chomping at the bit!

Have you found prospective homes yet?
I do wish you both the best of luck - keep us posted with her progress - try scanning in some ultrasound shots too!!
Oh I'm so excited for you! :happy: