does anyone else have Great Danes

sweetpup

Great Danes are AWESOME dogs for the right owners. I owned a harlequin before.. I have heard of this breed refered to as the "heartbreak breed", and this is true.. My dane died on her 1 year birthday, reasons unknown.. I plan on waitin a while before i attempt another one. i hurts so bad to lose one!!

michelle l

Originally Posted by snailheave
michelle, do you know anything about huskies? i want to have a couple when i am ready :happy:
Nooo, I sure don't. When I was a teenager, we found one that had been abandoned, and he was a very nice dog. He was breathtaking....black and white with ice blue eyes. My brother kept him and had him for many years after that, and he was unlike any dog I have ever met. All Huskies are different than most dogs, I think. They are very unique!
If you give me a day or so, I'll betcha I can run down a good Husky forum so that you can ask questions and read up on them. Every purebred dog breed, no matter what breed a person chooses, will have health issues that a potential owner should know about. It's always a smart move to know what to watch for and be familiar with before you start looking for a puppy.
I'll check back in a day or so if I get a tip on a good forum!!

michelle l

Originally Posted by snailheave
michelle, do you know anything about huskies? i want to have a couple when i am ready :happy:
Nooo, I sure don't. When I was a teenager, we found one that had been abandoned, and he was a very nice dog. He was breathtaking....black and white with ice blue eyes. My brother kept him and had him for many years after that, and he was unlike any dog I have ever met. All Huskies are different than most dogs, I think. They are very unique!
If you give me a day or so, I'll betcha I can run down a good Husky forum so that you can ask questions and read up on them. Every purebred dog breed, no matter what breed a person chooses, will have health issues that a potential owner should know about. It's always a smart move to know what to watch for and be familiar with before you start looking for a puppy.
I'll check back in a day or so!!

snailheave

hold your guns~
i am not quite ready for more pets.
i'll need my own house and probably years down the road before i get dogs as i am pretty much in love with my cats :hilarious

michelle l

No, I didn't think you meant that you'd be getting one right away. All the better, because that gives you plenty of time to learn about them. I have a recommendation for a message board for you....
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Husky-4-Life/
....and the woman who gave it to me said that you're welcome to e-mail her and ask her about the breed, if you want her e-mail address. I don't know how they are with cats, but most dogs are fine with cats if they are introduced to them as puppies and trained not to chase them. They aren't a sighthound, like a Greyhound or a Saluki, so I don't think they would have a high prey drive. That would make a kitty a moving target to something like a Greyhound or Saluki, which makes it harder to train them not to chase a cat. But I don't think Huskies have that issue.
Happy reading!! I hope I was able to help.

snailheave

i haven't read anything yet but browsed through the photos. i assume that they like the cold? (one picture has a husky hanging out in the fridge even.) do they have an aversion to heat? i live in california and it's quite hot.

mkengr45

I love Great Danes, but dont have one. I do have a Bassett Hound that is the biggest baby. His name is Spanky, he is 10 months old and weighs 55 pounds. He wants to sit in your lap and be held all the time.

michelle l

Awwww, Spanky is adorable!!!!
Snailheave....yeah, I do know that Huskies LOVE the cold. I had a friend who's Husky would just go lie in the snow because he liked it. He preferred having ice cubes in his bowl as opposed to fresh water, too!!
I don't know if they have an actual aversion to heat, or just a preference for things that are cold. I'm sure they'd do fine in CA.

babs

I will keep everyone posted on the puppy situation. She isn't accting any different yet. So it's still a little early to have her tested.
No, i don't have buyers yet, but i hope to have a waiting list ready for them so i don't have to deal last minute. the last litter i had from sassy went as far as Canada.
I will post pictures soon, i promise.