Does anyone have a german shepard

fish master

We have a german shepard that weve had since she was 2 months old. She is now 2 years old. She has always barked when someone is at the door. She always barks when someone comes in the house. But once they are in she calms down. She wont go near them but she leaves them alone. my son brought 2 of his friends over the other day that have never been here before and she didnt bark at all. Then the next day my daughter had two of her friends over and the dog was very aggressive towards one of the girls. The other girl she didnt bother but the one she wouldnt leave her alone. she kept barking and was acting very hyper. we locked her in bedroom while the girls were here. I dont understand why she would act like that towards one girl and not the other

2quills

For what ever reason she must have seen that girl as some type of threat. I've had a couple of dogs over the years that have behaved similarly. And at times I've felt that their perception of other people is far greater than our own. I used to have a black lab that never barked at anybody. And then all of a sudden one day she seen some dude walking by the house and just went nuts. To be honest, I kind of felt that the person looked a little bit shady, myself. Not that I'm trying to be a profiler or anything, but sometimes you just get bad vibes off of certain folks. I think it's natural.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish master http:///t/394016/does-anyone-have-a-german-shepard#post_3506604
We have a german shepard that weve had since she was 2 months old. She is now 2 years old. She has always barked when someone is at the door. She always barks when someone comes in the house. But once they are in she calms down. She wont go near them but she leaves them alone. my son brought 2 of his friends over the other day that have never been here before and she didnt bark at all. Then the next day my daughter had two of her friends over and the dog was very aggressive towards one of the girls. The other girl she didnt bother but the one she wouldnt leave her alone. she kept barking and was acting very hyper. we locked her in bedroom while the girls were here. I dont understand why she would act like that towards one girl and not the other
Hi, I have kept shepherds all my life.
You can't trust a German Shepherd around strangers, they do not easily bond and remain "stand-offish" (LOL...if that could be a word) Once they feel sure the stranger means no harm, things can calm down...but remember, the dog is still leery, and has gone to a quiet watchful possition...and aggressive moves could mean trouble, as they get older they get more protective. As to why one child was bothered more than the other...one kid showed more fear than the other, (the dog senses that fear) and your dog decided to be a bully.
It's always best to supervise anyone who comes into the home around your dog, it's nice to let the kids play, but any aggression real or imagined, (my dogs get worried when kids jump around and yell even in play) toward the dog's pack (your child) will result in a possible bite to a playmate, and spell big trouble for you
. The insistant barking was a warning, she was already concerned and nervous...a dog that usually barks and then doesn't, has decided that the stranger is too close for warnings, and has invaded the home already...now it's watching for any sign of danger before it pounces. You were smart to remove the dog to another room.
Smells also can affect a dogs behavior....My male German Shepherd has been raised around my grandchildren. My daughter purchased a doll house from a rumage store, little dolls cloths and dolls, furniture the whole bit...the children played with it outside because it was too huge to be underfoot in the house. When they came in, my dog growled at them and acted like he might bite the two smaller girls who were playing with it. They were frightened enough to sit on the sofa and cry for me to come...my daughter got between the dog and the children...he was full aggressive and he had never so much as snarled before then to them. My dog is 6 years old and lived in the house with these kids until they were 2 and 3 years old...I suspected the doll house had something to do with it... I had the girls go take a bath...and they did not play with the doll house anymore...they took it home with them when they left. After the bath, and the doll house smell was washed off... the dog acted like he always did...playful and loving....he sleeps with them at night, cuddled between them.
Some dogs are lovers, but those who bark and stand aside are not the lovey type...they are protecters, and make sure everyone in their "pack" are safe. It's always best to be extra safe and assume your dog might bite. A German Shepherd is a large dangerous animal, and if it goes for a kid you invited into your home it could mean big trouble for you.

fish master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394016/does-anyone-have-a-german-shepard#post_3506608
Hi, I have kept shepherds all my life.
You can't trust a German Shepherd around strangers, they do not easily bond and remain "stand-offish" (LOL...if that could be a word) Once they feel sure the stranger means no harm, things can calm down...but remember, the dog is still leery, and has gone to a quiet watchful possition...and aggressive moves could mean trouble, as they get older they get more protective. As to why one child was bothered more than the other...one kid showed more fear than the other, (the dog senses that fear) and your dog decided to be a bully.
It's always best to supervise anyone who comes into the home around your dog, it's nice to let the kids play, but any aggression real or imagined, (my dogs get worried when kids jump around and yell even in play) toward the dog's pack (your child) will result in a possible bite to a playmate, and spell big trouble for you
. The insistant barking was a warning, she was already concerned and nervous...a dog that usually barks and then doesn't, has decided that the stranger is too close for warnings, and has invaded the home already...now it's watching for any sign of danger before it pounces. You were smart to remove the dog to another room.
Smells also can affect a dogs behavior....My male German Shepherd has been raised around my grandchildren. My daughter purchased a doll house from a rumage store, little dolls cloths and dolls, furniture the whole bit...the children played with it outside because it was too huge to be underfoot in the house. When they came in, my dog growled at them and acted like he might bite the two smaller girls who were playing with it. They were frightened enough to sit on the sofa and cry for me to come...my daughter got between the dog and the children...he was full aggressive and he had never so much as snarled before then to them. My dog is 6 years old and lived in the house with these kids until they were 2 and 3 years old...I suspected the doll house had something to do with it... I had the girls go take a bath...and they did not play with the doll house anymore...they took it home with them when they left. After the bath, and the doll house smell was washed off... the dog acted like he always did...playful and loving....he sleeps with them at night, cuddled between them.
Some dogs are lovers, but those who bark and stand aside are not the lovey type...they are protecters, and make sure everyone in their "pack" are safe. It's always best to be extra safe and assume your dog might bite. A German Shepherd is a large dangerous animal, and if it goes for a kid you invited into your home it could mean big trouble for you.
Your right about stand - offish. My mother and father inlaw come over probably twice a week and she is just now starting to let them pet her after 2 years. She is great with our other 2 dogs. they play all the time. Sometimes to much. When the other dogs have had enough they gang up on her to get her to stop. its funny to watch. She is great with us and our kids. Never has been agressive with any of us. But yes we always watch her around strangers.

reefraff

I'd ask about pets the girls might have. Could be your dog is smelling a cat or another dog.