Does anyone have a Green Wolf Eel?

dejay

Hey everyone, I'm REALLY REALLY looking to get a green wolf eel, and I have the LPS holding one for me untill my tank cycles. I just wanted to get some input on the green wolf eel from people on this message board. Please let me know. Thanks!

grouperhead

Green wolf eels are not eels, but very large pseudochromis. They are piscivorous, feeding mainly on the flesh of fish. In captivity, they will eat most meaty food including shrimp, krill, squid, silverside, clam, fish flesh, etc. You can feed them with a stick or they will come to the surface like other fishes. Provide amble swimming space and plenty of rockwork as they do get around a bit. They are also highly cannabalistic and will eat any other wolf eel or other eel small enough. Make sure your tank is covered up also. HTH.

dejay

Can I buy like shrimp at the grocery store and feed him that? Or is there anything else I can buy at the grocery store to feed him?

saltfisher

Originally posted by KittyKitty
:nervous: don't buy from Jack's... their fish are overpriced and always in poor condition.

I hope you don't say House of tropicals. That old a$s lady gives no deals and is expensive, too. The next best place is where cincyreefer works...Don't know the name of his place though.
I've been doing this long enough to know where to get a decent fish....If you can get the moray from Jack's, get it.

kittykitty

there are several other pet stores around here that I would buy from before I bought from jack's.
House of tropicals doesn't know how to take care of their fish, either. They are CLUELESS. They sell this "live rock" that's in this huge vat, 6.99/ lb by the way, and it has absolutely NO life on it whatsoever. Then, if you look in the back right corner of the store, they have their "coraline rock" which is like 11 or 12 dollars a pound. IT's just regular live rock, it has coraline algae on it. (and not much, at that). Their fish are way overpriced, and always in poor condition. Anyways, the only other stores that I know of in cincinnati are Just About Fish in montgomery (very nice store but a bit overpriced), Monfort Aquarium and Pets, Wet Pets, (The guy at Wet Pets is an A$$h0le but they always have a good selection of fishies.), and Aquatics and Exotics. (cincyreefer and I work at the same store)
the only reason I say don't buy saltwater fish from jack's is because, first of all, I used to work there, and every fish that I have ever bought from them hasn't faired so well. It has always ended up getting sick and half of them have died. (and no, it wasn't my water conditions.) I don't know how much money I have put into buying medication for my sick Jack's fish. They also put lots of copper in their "fish" side of the marine section, so don't ever get any of their water in your tank. I made that mistake once, and it killed my anemone and snails.
And lastly, I just have a hate for jack's simply because I know how they treat their animals. During the whole time that I worked there, there were maybe 2 people that REALLY cared about what happened to the fish and to the animals there. It's a corrupt little corporation.

saltfisher

Well said, but i'll check out those other places. I don't comment on things or places that I know nothing about. Also, I use copper, it's a great, great product.

dejay

First, what's a chopper? Second,... Kitty, where do you work? I'll have to stop down there. I live in Florence, KY. I go to Jack's a bit and the store manager in Florence seems to really know his stuff and is a really nice guy. His name is Jemery. Do you know him?

saltfisher

She works in Aquatics & Exotics. Copper is a chemical you put in your tank. It kills most, if not all parasites. However, you can't have any inverts while using it. I add some to my tank everytime I get a new fish. Then I let it run out and not add more until another new fish arrives. Yeah, yeah, I know it's never out of your system, but I don't care, I like using it.

kittykitty

Originally posted by SaltFisher
Well said, but i'll check out those other places. I don't comment on things or places that I know nothing about. Also, I use copper, it's a great, great product.

great great product if you don't mind losing all of your invertebrates.
I don't have any invertebrates anymore, so I use it too. Keeps the ich away. Since I started using it I haven't had any sick fish.