does anyone have a jbj light

evanjah

i have the 36" jbj formosa power compact light. My question is it has a 29" bulb but it is easier to find shorter bulbs could i use a shorter bulb? or would this have a bad effect?

ophiura

My assumpting is that most 36" fixtures have a 96W light. I would personally stick with that same wattage of light if for no other reason than to max your lighting.
However I will be the FIRST in line to admit that I am not a lighting expert - I suspect the ballast would fire a 55W or 65W (shorter bulbs typically) as well. The issue there could be securing the lights in the fixture, assuming there is some sort of bulb clip. But, IMO, you are giving up some "juice" in the lighting. Considering you don't really need to replace them that often it is not a huge deal I think. Do some online searches, BTW, very much available online (I was searching today actually).

ophiura

Technically, no...
There is a "quad" 96W bulb that is only 16 inches (it is 4 tubes wide but shorter). But this may require modification to your actual fixture.
I would suspect - again not an expert - that other PC 96W bulbs are roughly the same length.

jaymz

I have used coralife bulbs in my JBJs they are more easily found than the JBJs. They are the same length.
DeathCo carries them.

stanlalee

36" formosa has 34" 96 watt bulbs. here's mine. mine has german straight pin style connectors which are pretty uncommon these days so make sure you look at the connecting pin on the end of the bulb if your replacing them. the four pins will either all run horizontal (called straight pin or german) or squared one pin in each corner (called square, japanese or panasonic)