Does anyone keep clams under VHO lights?

maryc137

I have 440 watts of VHO and the tank is 24" deep. Do you think I could keep a clam in my tank? Some say you need metal halide and some people have told me I have plenty of light.

temple2101

I posted a thread asking the same question not to long ago. The consensus was that you could keep a squamosa clam under VHO, and that would be the only species. All others pretty much require MH. For clams to be perfectly happy, MH is a must. Just remember that success is in terms of years not months, and some may say they have kept clams under VHO, but it has probably only been for a few months. HTH. (hopefully some more experienced people will comment as well :joy: )

This subject has been covered thoroughly and sometimes heatedly in many many threads. Use the search feature in the top right of the SWF screen and type in something like "clams and vho" and see what you get. You may need to play around with the search terms a little bit. Put on your sunglasses though because the debates about this subject get pretty hot sometimes.

nm reef

A squamosa is a good choice for less than MH...I've had one for about 18 months now. My lighting is 2x110 VHO super actinics and 4x65 10K PC's...but there is more required than just lighting...very stable water chemistry and appropiate levels of calcium & alkalinity.It can be done but care needs to be taken in selection.