Does anyone know what this is?

rroberts

I have a book that says I can take a screw driver and grind it out of existence. Is this recommended or will it spread the animal?

phil1964

I am new to the hobby but if it is the dreaded aptaisa I can speak from experience that it spreads. I got 4 out 2 weeks ago and have 'culturing' them in a cup. I now have 9. I do a daily water change for them but they appear to be on their way out. I got pepermint shrimp 8 days ago and my tank is clean. So far!

justinx

Looks like astrangia to me. I have several in my tank that came in on my LR. Mine tend to shrivel up in the day and triple in size at night. Put them in a shady spot so they will grow.

ophiura

Is there any chance for a more clear shot? Seems a bit pixelated or something. At this time, I agree, it does not look like Aptasia.

scarybo

It's hard to tell in the picture, but I would bet it is not aptasia. I've dealt with the aptasia nightmare in the past. It looks more like a different type of anenome. If you could post a better picture it would help in identification.

saltyshark

Originally posted by Barracuda
YES, i think i found the right one!!!
Bartholomea annulata

Yep I think Barracuda is on to something...did a search on it
Here's a pic

nm reef

Yup I agree that its likely a curly q anenome...I've heard they are closely related to aptasia...but don't multiply radidly and don't pose the problems aptasia do. A couple of years ago I had a curly q but eventually lost it...very interesting and from what I understand easy to keep anomone. A clearer pic would help...but I'd say a curly q based on what I've seen.

barracuda

Here's some info on your anemone:
The Curly Q Anemone has a brown, gray, blue color. It likes to eat filter feeding invert food, brine shrimp, micro-plankton a few times per week, when open. The Bartholomea annulata is generally moderate toward other tankmates. Many consider the Bartholomea annulata a medium-maintenance specimen. Has moderate lighting needs. The Glass Anemone, Curly-Que requires moderate water flow. Translucent appearance. Curled tips. Can propagate by pedal laceration.

bang guy

Originally posted by Wrassecal
Justin, just wondering if you know who took that pic you just posted?

Do I get to guess?? ;)
I believe the animal in question is an Anemone, probably a Curly Cue. Be careful, they have powerful stings and can eat fish & kill surrounding corals.
Guy

rroberts

Well I woke up this morning and it had moved next to some coral frags that I have and nearly killed them. I took out the rock it was attached to. I hope it dies as it killed another coral I had about a month ago.