Does coralline bleach?

tigershark

I noticed on some of my LR that there is a lot of stuff that looks like coralline but is white in color. I have been re arranging my rocks lately and the tank is now cycling again so some sand has covered the rock for a few days. Will it being covered up cause it to bleach or turn white? Or is there white coralline?

gregzbobo

It does bleach, but I don't know all the reasons it does. I don't think there are any white varieties of it either.

kpogue

It doesn't produce ammo at all. It should grow back over time, BUT, if you have crabs you may want to watch them, they could be eating it.

tigershark

I dont have any crabs or urchins in the tank now, only 1 peppermint shrimp and he is not eating it. I just noticed a lot of white patches on the rocks but hopefully it will grow back soon.

kpogue

I re-read your post. If your tank is cycling, indeed it will turn white. After your cycle is complete, it will begin to regrow.

bang guy

Several months ago I harvested a LOT of Xenia to thin out the colony. They slimed up pretty good and really bleached out some of my coralline. It quickly grew back.