Does having a glass top distort light?

frank2005

Hi, i was just curious as to whether or not having a lid on a tank distorts the light going into the tank thus semi-starving the corals. I have a 490 gallon and i put on glass tops to help prevent some of the evaporation from the tank and have 10,000k metal halides built into the canopy so they arent directly on tank. Just wanted to make sure that was alright to do or else i was going to take the glass off. And if thats not okay would i be able to keep the glass on if i switched to 20,000k bulbs?

ejensen

I don't think the glass should distort the light much but dirt will. Dryed up salt might to some as well.

yomommasmom

yes it does i got glass tops yesterday im still trying to figure out an way to cool it down without paying 500 extras $$

team2jndd

Glass tops stop the evaporated water from leaving which heats the tank and causes other problems. Also, glass has iron in it for strength and that reflects alot of light. If you do go the glass route make sure you buy it from an aquarium company.

mandarin w

You need to get the glass tops off. Glass tops are for freshwater tanks.
The glass blocks some of the light spectrum that the corals need. It also prevents the tank from "breathing"
That is the evaporation process. As the tank evaporates, it take the gases and some of the heat out of the tank. Just like when you sweat. It is also just as important for your tank to "sweat" as it is for you.
Look for some 14K metal halide, The 14K offers your tank white and blue light. It is a happy medium. The 14K will also give you good growth, which the 20K will not.
If your light are in a canopy, make sure you have vent holes in the canopy with fans running. This will help tremendously with the heat build up in the canopy.