does ick live in the tank no mater what?

djheynow

the lfs tells me that fish carry diseases always and that the elimination of ick from my dispaly tank is not realistic. so then I should buy some treatment called MarinOomed. He tells me it's safe for my lr, ls, and crabs. It contains (per 100ml) Hexmethyl para rosaline 75.7mg, Quinine hydrochloride monohydrate 1261.7mg, 9-Aminoacridine hydrochloride monohydrate252.3mg, Benzyl dodecyl-bis-(2hydroxyethyl) amonium chloride 504.7mg,
I can't say that I understand this, but If I put in 3ml per 10 gallons it's safe for invertebrates. Half that much makes it safe for corals and anemones. This is per the instructions on the bottle. It's only $5.00 the treatments last a week. He tells me that I'll have ick in the fish and the tank no matter what. Suggests garlic and UV sterilization as well as reduced stress for the fish.
Am I going to lose my live rock or my little crabs?
Will I have parasites no matter what I do? Can I treat this outbreak and then just keep things under controll?
That's all. I read lots of the threads on disease and this is not the reccomended treatment method, but I thought I'd ask.
D.J.

djheynow

I appreciate the prompt response. I understand the differences in approach. I don't have another tank set up now. Can I use this method until I do?
What I really want to know is if it will harm anything in the tank.
Thanks again, D.J.

fishswim

No medicines are really safe for inverts. And if you put in just a little, it may not harm them (noticibly), but it won't do it's job, which was destroying the parasite. It sounded like he was trying to sell you a few things you really don't have to have.
I agree with Terry, quarantine tanks are the way to go.

q

I have been wondering this for quite a while now too.
Makes a really stong case for a quaritine tank.
Welcome to the BB TerryB. Appreciate the time you put into this.
Matt