Does LR and GSP have an impact on bioload?

lazarus

I have a 29g FOWLR tank and the GSP is nearly out of control. The tank has been super stable with very few casualties, but I just added a couple small yellow gobies and I worry about bioload.

The tank current occupants include:

>Bi-color dwarf angel
>Royal Gramma
>Benghali Cardinal
>Six line wrasse
>Pair of clownfish
>Blenny
>Robust clean up crew including Cleaner Shrimp

But the most prominent occupant is the GSP on a fair amount of live rock. It is looking a little crowded with the addition of these two tiny yellow fish. Funny it did not look crowded yesterday.

I think if not for all the rock and GSP there would be ample room.

Thanks for your opinions on this. Very much appreciated. I can always find a home for the GSP at the LFS!

lmforbis

The GSP will spread if they are happy. They won't contribute significantly to bio load. O the other hand, nine fish in a 29 gallon is way over stocked.

lazarus

i think counting fish is not the best way to calculate bioload b/c size matters. 4 of the 9 fish are way smaller than a jelly bean...the dwarf angel is the largest - he is the size of a quarter. The two that I added are the smallest of the small - and I've not lost any fish to disease in about a year.

lmforbis

The fish will grow, and if they are healthy quite quickly, and it is best to base things on the adult size of the fish, and the recommended minimum tank size.
Take the bicolor angel. Min tank size is 70 gallons and adult size is 6".
Clown fish, even the smaller species, can get to 3" and some species will get to 6", The cardinal and gramma are good in a small tank, the gobies likely are too but not with a total of 9 fish. The point is you have to look at their needs and size not just based on now but also for their future needs. Even if you only stock fish that have minimum tank size in the range of yours you will not be able to keep as many as you may want long term in that tank, especially as they grow and reach maturity.

lazarus

Sure - totally agree. I've had that angel however for about 4 years and he's still pretty small! I do plan to swap out some fish with the LFS to address this over the long term. Thanks for your opinions.