Does this mean my 2 fish are fighting?

crazyzeus1

We started with 4 Green Chromis, but lost two of them in the first week. We've had the other two for about 2 months now. However, they seem to "kiss" all the time...and then every so often, one will dart towards the other's side & dart away. Neither one of them have chewed up fins, tail, skin, etc.
Does this mean they're fighting??? They are NEVER more than a few inches apart & seem to take comfort together when they're scared or startled.
If they are fighting, would adding a few more Chromis to the bunch make a school & then they wouldn't fight?
Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
heather

joker_ca

THEY ARE SCHOOLING FISH SO THEY NEED TO BE IN GROUPS OF 6 OR MORE IMO, IF JUST KEPT IN PAIRS A DOMINATE FISH WILL START TO PICK ON A LESS DOMINATE FISH WHICH COULD RESULT IN ITS DEATH. YOU SHOULD ADD MORE FISH AND THE AGGRESSION SHOULD STOP

crazyzeus1

Well...that's why we bought 4 to start...but the two died, and then we didn't get anymore. I think we'll be getting some more if that will fix the problem!
How many total Chromis would make a peaceful school?

bonebrake

Probably 4-5+
I have read that a dominant chromis expresses aggression to the smaller fish in the school and the more smaller fish you have the more it is spread out so it does not stress any one particular fish to its death. Since you have a 100 gal. tank a school of 7 or 8 would be really cool to watch!