does this setup look ok to you all?

ed leer

Hi ... I'm a novice when it comes to saltwater fish
and would like to know if this looks ok ....
1) my tank ... just with crush coral and sand and some bowl rock to use as shelves for live rock.
2) home made refugium and other stuff you can see
3) my UV and a protien skimmer.
so how does it look ... it all tests out so far ... BUT did i do something wrong?

am3gross

looks good!!!!!! i concur with the other two. the crushed coral is just going to become a nitrate factory. what are you planning on putting in your chunk of the ocean?

lion_crazz

I would also recommend taking out the crushed coral and either using aragonite or sand.
Other than that, it looks good.

aw2x3

Definately get rid of the CC...luckily, you're not fully set up, so it wont be too much of a hassle to get it out.
Also...your Coralife Skimmer is not going to work correctly, unless it's level. You'll have to figure out some way, to make room, so that it'll set up straight.

ed leer

98% of my CC is out ... you know, you all set me back about a week on my setup :joy: ... I replaced it with live sand that is just sandy looking and one that had some black speckals in it and reef sand dry
2 bags of the yellow bahama live sand 20lbs each
2 bags of the yellow with black specks indo live sand 20lbs each
3 bags of reef dry sand 15lbs each
I did this to give the bottom some flavor and break up the solid color of the sand
now to the skimmer ... a BRICK would level it out .... but would it be safe for the main tank??? :help:
thanks guys
-Ed

a&m aggie 04'

I'm not sure I'd put a brick into the tank, can't really know whats all in it. Whats keeping it from sitting flush on the bottom of the sump?

infern0

I was thinking also, maybe pulling your rocks towards the center of the tank. With them huddled up against the back corner like that in this type of tank, you'll probably create a dead flow spot for detritus collection. It will also give the fish something to swim around?? Just a though, definitely not a MUST do.

lion_crazz

Yeah, I would be curious to know what is keeping the skimmer from sitting flush as well.
Inferno, I am pretty sure he said he is adding much more live rock. He just wanted to use those base pieces to have something to build off of.

bub

You should put "drip loops" on all of your electrical cords to prevent a possible short circuit.