Does this sound good?

scubataibi

i want to start a 100 reef. i made a list of things that are needed. does this sum it all up. sorry if my handwriting is sloppy,

schadiest1

with 100 lbs. of LR.... you should on really need about 50lbs of live sand. That would be plenty of filtration. what kind of filter do you plan on buying for $285? You shouldn't need that big of a filter with all the LR you plan on getting and especially with a fuge. I have a 40 gallon tank with a Hang on back fuge, and no filter... plus I have 60 lbs of LR and 40 lbs of LS

bigb

When you set up you'll see 100 lbs of rock will not be enough. Im at 150lb in a 125 and looking to add 30lb more =1.5lb per gallon. Sand amount depends on what you want. I only used enough to get up to the bottom lip of stand (easier to clean algae on lower glass). If you buy fully cured rock you don't need to put it in all at once. Unless you are getting tank used or a good deal, you can look at getting a pre-drilled tank/ or drill this one you can cut out the cost for the overflow box. Depending on how you plan on plumbing return to tank PVC or flex will add about $50-$60. $Stand?$

bigb

Sorry just saw stand and canopy price (hard to read). Canopies tend to be a wate of money until you get everything on the tank, they usually don't fit the lights and all other hang ons-cut outs. What kind of filter, airpump $118.99 and another pump 119 ?

latino277

Dude.... is that $600 for 100# of LR :scared: .... that's alot of $$$$$$ if you look at this site. you can get ~135-150 of figi for that same price from this site! Also... look into a reef ready tank (Drilled tank). this way you don't have to deal with an external overflow box. and it's safer. External overflow can fail and make a mess!
Trust me I know!

latino277

What do you need an Air pump for?
WHat type of test kits are you getting? I would try ang get salafer (SP?) they are the best!!!
What kind of lighting do you plan on getting? What kinds of coral do you plan to have. this will determin you lighting. If you plan on SPS then you then you going to need MH

scubataibi

ok, the air pump was only 18, not 118, and i decided to take it out of the list. the other pump was 4 the filter to return the water. the filter is wet/dry and includes a protein skimmer. i want a nice andeven coating of sand, say 1 1/2 inch layer. i might go for the figi live rock on swf.com

scubataibi

tests are red sea reef test kit, lights are CustomSeaLife 72 - 4 x 96 W Power Compact ABS with ID Control, planon gettinsoft corals, and some hard

bigb

if the air pump was for removing air from overflow not a bad idea! A better one would be drilled tank. If not you can get overflow box/air lifter combo for $120

latino277

just some food for thought... this lighting is going to run you ~$530. right... if you diy you canopy you can get 3 X 250w MH for alittle over $300 Plus 4X 96w PC for ~ $250 plus wood /relfector/fans. so for ~600 - 650 you can have a lights system that is 10X better and now you can keep whatevery coral you fell like... of corse this is all without bulbs.
PS: is just did a quick search on another site and came up with a retrofit kit with 3 175w mh + 2X 96 pc for $626
from the same site:
"250 Watt MH Assembled Ballast - includes ballast enclosure, on/off switch, powercord, mounting bracket, and mogul socket" for $105

bigb

This is all helpful info but i don't think this user is serious. I think it was just a general post.

scubataibi

im serious.
i love reef tanks and a 100g tank would be so sweet to have
i am doin my studyin about all the stuff i need to know for a large tank :happyfish
the nano i have right now is fun and i dont plan on stoppin that, 100g can really bright up the room
$3000 is alot but for a great causewhy do u think i made that list, for fun? :rolleyes:
oh, and i dont think the ro/di unit isnt needed 'cause im usin that packaged perfect stuff, but i might need it for water changes because i cost $10 for 5g. i might as well just get an ro/di unit and salt mix after that

latino277

Well I'm not sure what that "packaged perfect stuff" is but.... in the long run the RO/DI will end up cheaper