Does your LFS give you some % off of things?

coral keeper

Does your LFS give you some % off of things or buy one get one free or something like that when you've been buying a lot of things there?

teen

depends on the store. one store i frequent, he'll usually just name a price, i pay cash, so no tax or anything. he gives me good prices as well because he knows i know what im talking about.
another store i go to, i get a 10% discount becasue im a member of my local reef club.
another store i occasionally buy from, i work at, so i get a nice discount there as well.

srgvigil

My LFS doesnt really have a set price. He had live rock that had some awsm growth on it marked for 10 bucks. But he gave it to me for 6.

coral keeper

Ive spent $455.41 at this one good store, but they really never gave me any % off or anything like that. I also have to buy some new bulbs and thats going to be another $55. I'm going to ask if they can give me some % off or anything like that.

teen

if you just go in and spend a lot of money, then most likely there not gunna do anything for you.
if you go in, know what your looking for and show them you know a thing or two, they'll most likely realize you know what your talking about and you know what somethings actually worth. then they might give you a better price or help you out a bit.

wangotango

I think once my LFS' realized I knew what I was doing, most of the staff were willing to haggle a little. I think I paid $60 for an acro that was orriginally $80.
One of my LFS has a club card program; every $10 you spend towards livestock you get a stamp. Once you fill the card (20 stamps) you get $20 off another purchase.
-Justin

paintballer768

I was talking to an LFS guy today about a coral beauty angel that I was possibly getting. Next to it was a lawnmower blenny mislabeled as eyelash algae blenny. I told him nicely that it was mislabeled and he knocked 4$ off the price of the CBA. Stuff like that is awesome.

m0nk

The LFS that's 5 minutes from my house used to, but the owner sold the place last summer and it hasn't been the same ever since (they don't even know what a lawnmower blenny is). My other LFS (That Fish Place) is a bit too big to give anyone discounts, but they sell things pretty cheap to begin with. Of course, they're a 45 minute drive away....ugh. My only hope is that someone buys the place up here again and fixes what's now broken....

nycbob

if i pay in cash, they will waive the tax. at time, they will take a few dollars off there and there. it never hurts to ask for a discount tho.

kidreef

yeah same thing for me pay with cash sometimes no tax and they give my great deals on frags except their ricordia $50 for a 1/2 frag

fishycpa

Some LFS give discounts if you are a member of your local reef club. Reef club memberships are often free or at least very cheap...makes up any difference.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by teen
depends on the store. one store i frequent, he'll usually just name a price, i pay cash, so no tax or anything. he gives me good prices as well because he knows i know what im talking about.
another store i go to, i get a 10% discount becasue im a member of my local reef club.
another store i occasionally buy from, i work at, so i get a nice discount there as well.
Which stores are you talking about Teen? I find that depending on who I am talking to at Aqua Hut I may get different prices. Don and Tony (the guy with the brown ponytail) give me great deals since I'm in there all the time. Which shop do you work at?