Dogface puffer!!

robb

Well I called one of my LFS's yesterday and they got a Dogface puffer in. I have been wanting a DF for a few years now and it just never seemed to work out right. I either had no room or for whatever reason it just didn't seem to happen. Well I know to most a DF is no big deal but I'm going today to look at the little guy and hopefully I will be bringing him home. The lady at the lfs said he was about the size of her fist so he sounds like about the size I want. I'll post a picture or two if I get him.

robb

Ok everyone is so excited about this. (I can tell by all the replies):D Well I didn't pick him up. He wouldn't eat while I was there. He was in great shape though for sure. He looked very healthy. I think he would have been fine but I just couldn't chance it for some reason. I told them if he was still there at the end of the week and eating then I would be back to get him. It was hard to leave him there. I'm still wondering if I made the right choice.

stacyt

I usually wait a couple of days after they get their shipment at the LFS before I buy it. I figure if it lives a couple of days after arriving then there is a chance that it will survive.

kinkfish

I have a 220 gallon and I just bought a all black dog face puffer her name is oprah and I love her. i bought her just one day after the lfs got her and she is a pig I feed her so much she just laid on the coral for a whole day and a half but she great. Just look at them see how they breath ask them to feed them in the store.

crashlk

I have had a Spotted Dog faced Puffer for over a year, and the family loves him. He will eat too much and sit on the bottom and not move. His name is puffalump thanks to my two year old son. You do have to watch other tank mates during feeding. He likes to eat food at the overflows, but is starting to like live food also. I just introduced 2 dwarf fuzzy lions into the tank a month ago, and the feeder fish are becoming more interesting to him.
Go back and get him, you will be glad that you did.:)

crashlk

The other tank mates can take the food away from puffer. Depending on the day, he will go to the corner of the tank if the activity in the tank is heavy and fast during feeding.
Sometimes I will feed the others in the tank and then feed puffer. Part of the issues is how much he has eaten in the past day or so.
I had a puffer before this one, and he stopped eating completly. You really have to watch there interaction in an aggressive tank. The picaso trigger (gave it away) that I had was doing a real job on everyone in the tank and this is why puffer stopped eating.
He loves silversides, dried krill, and shrimp.

kinkfish

I am wanting to get hum hum trigger. Will he will be aggresive towards the dog face I thought they can hold there own.

flamingkingofhe

JUST DONT TRY AND MAKE HIM INFLATE WHEN I GOT MY FIRST ONE I MADE IT INFLATE TO MUTCH NOT KNOWINGTHIS WAS BAD AND SO THE DF EXPLODED

conogre

Dogfaced puffers are surprisingly peaceful and VERY easily cowed by aggressive tankmates.
I personally would advise against keeping triggers in with dogfaces over the long run, with the possible exception of Sagassum triggers or maybe bluechins, and then only in a fair sized to large tank.

angler1

I have a DF in the yellow/gold stage. Beautiful fish with real personality! (almost un-fish like) Get it, you won't be sorry.

angler1

Forgot to mention, I also have a huma huma trigger with it and they get along great. Almost "symbionicly"