Dogfaced Puffer Problem

roberteb

I was feeding my fish with a rather large piece of squid. My trigger and puffer were taking small bites while I was holding the squid. Then, out of nowhere my Spanish hogfish came out & lunged for it pulling it from my grasp. He let it go and my puffer somehow just inhaled it with one gulp. This happened 4-5 days ago. The last 3-4 days my dogfaced puffers behaviour has dramatically changed. He just mopes under the rock the whole day. He was quite active before this incident. Has little to no appetite as well. Today I noticed that he does not even open his mouth. Do you think that the large amount of squid he inhaled is causing some type of problem and what can be done about it?

small triggers

IF he comes up to your hand (and hopefully doesnt bite) you could try and see whats going on or maybe burp him incase its lodged in his throat.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by roberteb
http:///forum/post/3126634
I was feeding my fish with a rather large piece of squid. My trigger and puffer were taking small bites while I was holding the squid. Then, out of nowhere my Spanish hogfish came out & lunged for it pulling it from my grasp. He let it go and my puffer somehow just inhaled it with one gulp. This happened 4-5 days ago. The last 3-4 days my dogfaced puffers behaviour has dramatically changed. He just mopes under the rock the whole day. He was quite active before this incident. Has little to no appetite as well. Today I noticed that he does not even open his mouth. Do you think that the large amount of squid he inhaled is causing some type of problem and what can be done about it?
My guess is the fish is just as you describe...full, and thus, not hungry. My puffers are usually inactive for a day or two after feeding them. Just a guess on my part, but I highly doubt the squid would created any kind of blockage in its digestive system. 3-4 days is pushing it for inactivity, but I would not be too overly concerned just yet. JMHO

aquaknight

I don't think the two are related, but 3-4 days isn't pushing it for a hunger strike. The guy in my avatar has ate two whole shrimp, tail and all. I obviously don't try to feed him the tails too, but he rips them out of my hand pretty hard and the tails slip some times. Don't underestimate the digestive power of a puffer. This guys are designed to deal with much worse food items then squid (like shells from crabs/clams).
Just a side-thought, but what type of trigger do you have? Puffer that are usually 'mopey' and reclusive, are often that way because of another tankmate bullying them. I'd suggest watching the tank for an extended amount of time and make sure the puffer isn't getting aggression from the wrasse or trigger (or any other tankmates).

R

rcreations

I've had my puffer inhale some pretty large chunks of food. Sometimes you can see it in his stomach, he looks pregnant.
So I don't think the large chunk and strange behavior are related.

ironeagle2006

My DFP rest his Soul at times would eat 4 sliversides and then about a 1/2 of squid at one time. Then he would sit for a day or 2 then want to eat again. He would also loved the whole cubes of whatever I was trying to feed the rest of the tank and would swallow them WHOLE even if they were still partially FROZEN. For him food was his life then he would not eat for 3-5 days sometimes and when he got HUNGRY he would out eat my SFE which could eat 4 ozs at a time.

roberteb

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3126932
Just a side-thought, but what type of trigger do you have? Puffer that are usually 'mopey' and reclusive, are often that way because of another tankmate bullying them. I'd suggest watching the tank for an extended amount of time and make sure the puffer isn't getting aggression from the wrasse or trigger (or any other tankmates).
It's a very small niger. Know one bothers the dogface but when it's feeding time the trigger and the hogfish as of late have become very aggressive and their aggression has made the puffer a bit timid at feeding time.

roberteb

Well...some good news to report...he's is back to normal behavior. He had me worried but all is well. Thanks for your replies to this thread. It did put me at ease knowing this has happened to others with no ill effects.